What's your leadership style? How do you get the best out of people?

@MAK, please allow me to show you what taking the high road looks like.

I’m sorry you feel the need to try to bring others down. That must be hard for you to live with. I’ve met many like you while sailing and always grew beyond you. I hope you get past this all soon.

Until then, I’ll use your ignorance as energy to drive success.

Be honest. Is this the Meta rebrand branching it’s tentacles into the gCaptain honeypot??? :laughing:

4 Likes

The term “leadership” is worn out and become a cliche, as is the idea of getting something “out of people”.

The approach of “first do no harm” would be better. Most mariners just want the time, tools and information they need to do their jobs without some dumb asshole in their face.

3 Likes

Plus one on that but also don’t want micro management from the idiots ashore.

We have the business schools and management consults to thank for that, along with much else that is wrong with today’s society. Why anybody would listen to a bunch of spreadsheet jockeys on this topic is beyond me, but there we are.

Earl

4 Likes

Ralphie: In the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obsenity that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.

3 Likes

There are blocks and there are balls. You have to recognize which is which. Balls either need a gentle nudge or nothing at all to get them going and they will keep rolling and do quite well. Blocks need constant effort to move and they always want to be stuck in one position, which is usually in the galley, staring at their phone.

Other than that…

Never raise your voice. Nobody works well while being screamed at.

Lead by example. Never ask anyone to do what you are unwilling to do yourself.

Be fair, honest and respectful.

And don’t let emotions guide your decision making.

Also, don’t use a bunch of fancy, uppity words to hock your newfangled product to a forum full of working mariners.

4 Likes