Whats the easiest academy to get into

hey im currently enrolled in community college and my gpa sucks…a 2.1. Anyways I was wondering if I could get any feedback on what schools I have the greatest chance of getting into. I plan on getting really grades this semester and boosting my gpa to over a 2.5. Thanks

Islandhopper,

I am an admissions officer at one of the state maritime colleges - and I would encourage you to get the best grades you can - so that you could earn acceptance into all of the maritime academies - so you can have your choice on which one to attend. I have placed below a plan we send to students at community colleges that they can use to strengthen their application for admission into our academy. Feel free to contact me directly or through this forum if you have questions.

I wish you well through the admissions process!

Roy “Fuji” Fulgueras
Director of Admissions
Massachusetts Maritime Academy
1-800-544-3411
FAX 508-830-5077
Fuji@maritime.edu
www.maritime.edu
http://twitter.com/MMAAdmissions

[CENTER][B]Academic Standards[/B]
[B]For Completion of Post-Graduate Work[/B]

[/CENTER]

[B]Option 1 – Part-time[/B]

[ul]
[li]Applicant must complete a minimum of 12 college credits while maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).[/li][li]Applicant must successfully complete (with a grade of C or better) Algebra II (with Trigonometry), college level Chemistry (with lab), and college level English.[/li][li]It is suggested that the applicant also complete a western civilization course, Calculus I and a computer applications course.[/li][li]An official college transcript must be submitted to the Academy along with a letter requesting reactivation of the applicant’s admission portfolio.[/li][li]Applicant, upon acceptance, would be admitted for the next fall semester.[/li][/ul][B]Option 2 – Full-time[/B]

[ul]
[li]Applicant must complete a minimum of 24 college credits while maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale).[/li][li]Applicant must successfully complete (with a grade of C or better) Algebra II (with Trigonometry), college level Chemistry (with lab), and college level English.[/li][li]It is suggested that the applicant also complete a western civilization course, Calculus I and a computer applications course.[/li][li]An official college transcript must be submitted to the Academy along with a letter requesting reactivation of the applicant’s admissions portfolio.[/li][li]Applicant, upon acceptance, would be admitted for the next fall semester. [/li][/ul]

They aren’t that competitive to get into, but they are hard stay in and finish.

thanks for the feedback. I saw my guidance counselor today and im taking 4 classes and hoping for no less than a b in any of them. Im going to be busting my ass with this and work this semester but it doesnt matter because all i want is acceptance into one of these academies. My brother is at the merchant marine academy and says he loves it, the stuff is coming a lot easier to him than the other students because like me he has a really strong passion for maritime history. I have been talking to all the schools besides the Merchant MA. They all sound great. I actually have a Bahamian buddy whos starting Mass Maritime this semester. I would love to go to suny, mass, or cal. Texas, Maine and Michigan would be great too. Im going up to ny sept 10 and plan on talking to suny while Im up there. Again thanks for the feedback. Any input is greatly appreciated

Kingfysh is right - they’re not that hard to get into, and if you have half a brain and a little bit of motivation, they’re not that hard to stay in and finish either.

a C in any of your STCW classes stands for CAPTAIN!

“Really didnt care about school because I always thought I would become a captain on a private yacht.”

That really ought to be engraved in bronze and bolted to a wall somewhere …

FWIW, my younger son had about the same GPA as yours and like you he didn’t care much about school… He did the JC thing for a couple of years and he got into CMA without any problem. He will be starting his third year there in September.

[quote=Steamer;16588]“Really didnt care about school because I always thought I would become a captain on a private yacht.”

That really ought to be engraved in bronze and bolted to a wall somewhere …[/quote]

thanks but its the truth

Could I send you my transcript for you to take a look at and let me know what classes would be best for me to take. Thanks

please email me at treys7@aol.com or call 561-972-0966