What is the most stupid sign on board?

There was a sign “NOT TO BE USED AS A HARDHAT” on a garbage can in the messroom. In this day of rules and signage, nobody knew if it was for real or a joke.

Obviously not here:

Wasn’t a sign per se, but we had a saying on this one rig that was said every safety meeting, “Silence is consent”. Meaning if you see something wrong/broken and don’t say anything, your silence is giving consent for someone else to get hurt by it. Sounds great until you get a half dozen, protected species observers that are all female onboard. Should have seen their looks during the first safety meeting. LOL

4 Likes

There: “…Most Western adults cannot place their heels flat on the ground when squatting because of shortened Achilles tendons maybe caused by habit:…”

With the heels up, the body’s position is instable. I could never use a free squat toilet…

2 Likes

Urs, thank you for my second chuckle of the day.

You might learn to if you step out of your comfort zone far enough to find yourself with no other option. I guess you’ve never camped in the wild or experienced very many foreign cultures.

Oh yes, I did; I used the Siberian style toilet, at least half of it:
Take two big sticks, one rammed in the soil to get a hold, the other to chase the wolves.

Not that I want to dwell on the subject but aren’t those two statements contradictory?

No, I should have written free-standing toilet … but it is not standing.
The one stick helps to stay upright.

I’m having a hard time visualizing the purpose of the stick other than to compensate for lack of
physical strength needed to avoid touching the seat but it’s probably not important. While wolves and free standing toilets do hint of an adventurous spirit, it still sounds to me like you need to get out more.

2 Likes

I used to hike far into deer territory. Almost to my stand the cramp came. Not wanting to leave a human odor i found a log across a creek, pulled my insulated coveralls down, sat down and let go. Never heard a splash. Coveralls caught it. My day was ruined.

5 Likes

Tengineer1, you got to me early you prick, My first chuckle of the day. Reminds me of the time I quit tucking my hat in the back of my pants at Piney Point many decades ago. Ahh, the memories. That’s a good one sir.

1 Like

so true

reminds me of an AHTS I worked on where a school kid designed the windlass and deck gear but class signed off…
was almost unusable.
We were trying to work out what sign should have been posted so the crew could use it.

2 Likes

On some Asia built ships I often found the sign on the entrance to the wheelhouse “CERTIFIED WHEELHOUSE IN NAVIGATING SHIP” We never found any Wheelhouse certificate in our files so that one was just another one for us to laugh about.

I’ve been in more than a few heads with those urine color signs that smelled like people were peeing on the wall. I guess guys are looking up at the signs & not paying attention to where they were shooting? The urine color signs should be attached to a string for the dummies that need them.

To change the pace a bit here is one of the wisest signs I’ve seen on board. A wise captain put it up after a particularly contentious crew came aboard during the beginning of Covid 19.

4 Likes

A Vietnamese told me that since installing western style toilets and educating people to use them the number of old people dying in the toilets had been reduced.

2 Likes

I guess many have seen this where an Arab sign writer in the Middle East was told to write “DIESEL FUEL” (in Arabic) and also “NO SMOKING” (in Arabic) on the side of the tanker, so the local Arabs would understand. I am not in any way connected to this, but it’s hilarious.

2 Likes