What is the career outlook for heavy lift vessesls?

I’m at one of the academies and might have the opportunity to cadet ship on a heavy lift vessel. Would you rather do that or work on a tanker?

Are the day rates for officers the same as the rest of the industry?

I’ve done some reading, but I can’t find too much info about this niche in the industry. Whatever info / opinions you can share would be helpful.

Thanks!

Take any opportunity that comes your way at this point in your career. There is always something to learn everywhere you go. I would not be picky about what direction you want to go in this industry until you have experienced at least a few facets of it. Each segment will have its own pluses and minuses, but don’t deny the opportunity when you haven’t even really gotten started yet. Go see what its like and form your opinion from that.

1 Like

I’d rather work on a heavy lift ship but when you’re in school time on a tanker is more valuable to you. Being able to graduate with a PIC is extremely valuable, even if you later decide not to work on tankers.

1 Like

Do you mind explaining why?

Thanks!

Take a guess. It’s really obvious. Why would it better to have more credentials that allow you to work on more vessels?

3 Likes

Dockwise/Boskalis is hiring Americans now? I tried to get on with them a while back and they told me in no uncertain terms that they do not hire Americans.

Regardless, whatever ship type you cadet ship on, it will be knowledge under your belt for after you graduate. For the sheer fact that it’s a unique vessel type for your resume, I’d jump on the heavy lift though. You never know where it might lead down the road.

@Capt_Phoenix is right though, get as many endorsements as you can and you’ll have a whole lot more options when things are hard.

1 Like

No, definitely not. I’m not caught up on the current AMO heavy lift contracts but they historically have been low. Very low.

I’d rather work on a heavy lift. Tankers suck, man. The money isn’t as good as it used to be either.

Take your cadet ship time as a chance to explore the industry. If you think you might want to work heavy lift when you graduate this is a great way to check it out. There’s a million tankers and they’re always looking for people. A lot of them will take you on as a PIC observer to get your PIC anyways. Heavy Lift’s have typically hired from within, having mates sail as AB first so they understand the system and then move them up. If you go in as a cadet then you already have a leg up.

3 Likes