What do I need to move goods across a harbor / river and start my own service?

Interesting post. I agree that having an informal discussion with OCMI representation in Baltimore would be the best starting point, but do not forget that often OCMIs will provide the most conservative interpretations of regulations and pushing it up to COTP or District commander can prove beneficial as they may be more willing to work with you. Getting a read on whether the definition of “Freight for Hire” from subchapter I would apply would be my first question. If you are not receiving favorable consideration (being paid or other compensation) for the transportation of the supplies (as in you charge the same for the materials whether they touch your vessel or not) you may be considered an uninspected vessel. On the other hand the simplist route would seem to be deck barge with <26’ towboat (as long as there is no combustible or hazardous cargoes) for harbor/river work. Or get a subchapter M worksite exemption and use any towboat… good luck!

Well I have a bit of an idea now. I have once before looked into tugboats and barges for moving a large amount of supplies and it was prohibitively expensive. I spoke to a few others I work with and we all deliver large items once or twice a month along the river front within about a 5 mile range of where we are located - most spots are only a mile or two. I have done this a few times, probably illegally with prebuilt construction pieces using a small metal fishing boat and I’ve located one over the weekend and it’s pretty inexpensive 60 feet in size, flat deck so easy to load. I am just trying to figure out the feasibility to cut down on my freight costs since oversized loads on trucks is a pain and expensive even though they are not heavy at all. It seems like I could save myself money and make a couple dollars off helping others who expressed the same problems in my industry. Then again if it were that easy I’m sure someone would be doing it already! I have used a licensed captain in the past a friend knows to do it. He worked on fishing boats for many years and is now retired occasionally driving a dinner boat in the harbor. He wasn’t exactly sure what I would need since carrying freight for others would require insurance.

I think the best idea is to just call up the coast guards and see what they say!