What about the furloghed Seaman after BP Horizon

Perhaps what is wrong is that some people think that if you don’t get a license you just haven’t got what it takes to do the job, and shouldn’t be sailing. Fact of the matter is I have completed collage and have a masters in economics but chose to go back to sea and keep sailing as long as I live. No other life style I ever cared about. Don’t need, don’t want the responsiblity that comes with a bridge license. Just want to keep sailing and enjoying life at sea with as little stress as possible. Last I checked, that doesn’t make “something wrong”, just makes it an individuals decision. If I was a betting man, I’d wager that you hold a license, and I’d also wager you are no way near 65. As far as having enough to retire now, I would like to know just how well your 401k has held up under these economic times. And as for the outfit I sailed with, it was a 40 year stint with MSC. Perhaps you are right in one aspect. Perhaps I should have stayed overseas and on an MSC ship instead of trying to gear down and still keep sailing by accepting a position as a Professional AB on a vessel that could be so directly effected by the actions of BP

Currently I’m making picnic benches in my garage. Doing rather well even if I do say so myself. The question is not what I can do to make a living. I know I can make a living. The question is why should thousands of merchant seaman lose their jobs and wages and have to go make picnic benches just because of the mistakes made by a multi-billion dollar company makes just to make a bigger profit? As far as filing a claim, it was filed in Feb of this year, and as yet I have had NO response from BP, unlike the ads that flashed across TV screens and professed that BP was going to make things right for any and all who suffered a monetary loss.

Evidently you have a reading comprehension problem. In earlier posts when it was brought up that you were 65 and still an AB. I am the one that said I don’t have a problem with that. I personally know plenty of career AB’s. That is how I feel. Earlier in my career I didn’t have the same outlook. I was much younger and couldn’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to move up. It just seemed the natural thing to do. Not for the position, but because it paid more. I am out here to make money. We are all gone from home the same number of days. You might as well make the most you can for the day you work. That was my outlook. I did not understand then that people have different goals in life and different comfort zones. Over time I learned a thing or two. It says right there on my post how old I am. I am 37, almost 38. I do have a license, but I could care less if you do or not. There is nothing in the world I would rather be doing than working on the water. My 401K is doing OK. That really isn’t the issue, though. I originally brought your age up because I would like to think that by the time I reach 65 that I will be a little more prepared for retirement. Not talking about losing my house or car because I don’t have a job. Regardless of your age I would respond the exact same way. You are responsible for your wages and if you pulled 40 years with MSC, you must have a retirement with them. The more we discuss this the less I understand. You are standing on your soap box complaining about how BP ruined your 48 year sailing career. I challenge you to do something about it and all you can do is throw out one excuse after another. If you will get out there and really hit it hard you can and will find something. It is up to you, not BP.

[QUOTE=Sailor2You;50718]Currently I’m making picnic benches in my garage. Doing rather well even if I do say so myself. The question is not what I can do to make a living. I know I can make a living. [/QUOTE]

I definitely don’t get it. In earlier post you are losing your house and car and now you say you are doing rather well. Which is it?

[B][I][U]I definitely don’t get it. In earlier post you are losing your house and car and now you say you are doing rather well. Which is it?
[/U][/I][/B]

Capt Lee,it must be from working under Anchorman, your mentor, that you learned to make so much since,

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;50722][B][I][U]I definitely don’t get it. In earlier post you are losing your house and car and now you say you are doing rather well. Which is it?
[/U][/I][/B]

Capt Lee,it must be from working under Anchorman, your mentor, that you learned to make so much since,[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you want to Tussle!! I’ll take it easy on you…I don’t want you breaking your hip!

maybe I should start by learning how to spell, is it since or sense,never could remember which 1 to use

as for a Tussle,am I the type of mariner that starts a Tussle on Gcaptain???

can I help it if you look up to Anchorman,

I think I should give up now and keep quiet the rest of the night

I’m In deep sh-t now

If everyone wanted to move up in rank and did so there would be such a glut of officers the pay would reflect the demand. How lucky many of us are that so many competent mariners choose to remain with the lower deck.

That point aside, how pathetic can some people be to think that anyone who doesn’t want to move up is doing wrong!

It reminds me of high school. In ninth grade I was six foot four and was often asked, “Do you play basketball?” I did not play basketball and the reply I got most often was, “What a waste!”

Funny thing is, only the short or fat people thought it was a waste. Anyone with some respectable height could care less. So what does that say about you people and your upturned noses towards professional ABs?

You can shuffle off and play some miniature golf. Have fun!

(My apologies for the derail.)

Everyone on here rants from time to time, seems as if thats all the man was doing. In return he got a load of shit for his trouble.

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;50738]Everyone on here rants from time to time, seems as if thats all the man was doing. In return he got a load of shit for his trouble.[/QUOTE]

He got an honest opinion. Should I just just be like most people and agree and not really say what I am thinking.

“Go yeah you’re right man. They got to pay. It’s a crying shame. Someone has to be held responsible.”

I would prefer someone be honest with me whether I like it or not. Sometimes you need to hear it from someone else. If you are going to air your dirty laundry out on here in an open forum, you have to be prepared for the possibility that someone may not agree with you. I have just as much right as the next guy to “rant”. Maybe that’s what I am doing and getting a load of shit for my trouble.

Do I feel bad about the man’s situation. You betcha. When I was down on my luck in the past sometimes for reasons outside of my control, my mom would tell me to quit feeling sorry for myself and do something about it. Getting that kind of advice can be very motivating. I am just giving the same advice that has helped me through tough times, before.