Westerdam fire after departing Seattle

AIS shows that she’s still at Pier 91 now, it looks like the cruise didn’t even make it to Admiralty Inlet. I saw a cruise ship inbound for Seattle this evening which seemed odd but it is getting to be high season so I just assumed that they had been delayed or were cramming an extra arrival on Saturday. Fortunately the crew seems to have kept this fire contained.

The Seattle Times has a very brief report.

A Holland America cruise ship carrying more than 2,800 people returned to Seattle after a boiler-room fire Saturday. The crew doused it and there are no reports of injuries.

Flames broke out on the Westerdam at around 5 p.m. as the vessel was in Puget Sound near Kingston, bound for Alaska, according to George Degener, a Coast Guard petty officer and spokesman. The crew knocked the fire down, but a while later it restarted.
A combination of high-pressure mist and crew members with hoses extinguished the fire, said Kyle Moore, spokesman for the Seattle Fire Department. The city dispatched a fireboat, and a few units to the Pier 91 cruise terminal, as a precaution.

Holland America brought the ship back “out of an abundance of caution and in cooperation with the U.S. Coast Guard,” a company statement said.

No evacuations were needed, firefighters reported.

Coast Guard officers planned to inspect the ship Saturday night, Degener said.

Holland America said in a statement the 2,086 passengers and 798 crew are safe, and there was no impact on guest services. The seven-day cruise is expected to resume, following inspections, the company said.

Ah, man … not again!

I was thinking it’s more like this…

anyone got a spare plastic bag?..I gotta go!

Well, the damage must have been minimal. AIS shows her making 20.7kt half way up the outside of Vancouver Is.