West Sirius to be scrapped?

Been hearing from folks this week that the 5-gen semi West Sirius is set to be scrapped… have you all heard the same?

I am not “in the know” of Seadrill deep water drilling in GOM, but if true, scrapping a 2008 built deep water DP semi-sub is a very bad sign of the current industry climate.

Seems more unlikely than likely.

Seadrill got back to us today and has denied this rumor, but said that she did in fact lose her contract with BP. In other news, Transocean says in an SEC filing yesterday the GSF Explorer is set to be scrapped.

Umm, correct me if I’m wrong, but when I was with Global Marine/GSF, the Explorer was on lease from the Navy/MARAD I thought. How is Transocean scrapping government property?

Transocean bought out the lease lump sum in 2010 and took ownership.

Ahhhh. Ok. Missed that info somewhere. Was one heck of a cool ship to work on though.

Thats the old Glomar Explorer right? The ship Howard Hughes built to pick up the Soviet sub for the CIA?

Yup. Same ship.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;161734]Thats the old Glomar Explorer right? The ship Howard Hughes built to pick up the Soviet sub for the CIA?[/QUOTE]

Damn that’s cool! It is surprising how old much of the material used in the oil industry is.

Back when I was with GSF they had a section of the sub lifting pipe string outside the office in Houston. Doubt that got moved to the Transocean office when they merged. Definitely was a cool ship to work on though.

That sub is sitting at TO’s office at their Park 10 office… it’s ginormous

Oh good. I actually was really bummed when TO and GSF merged because I figured that would wind up in the scrap bin. Forgot you worked for GSF too Rob. Thanks for the info.