Waterfront Joints

exdraggerman. good to see you here. … yes, a lot of us have heard the ‘‘command’’ or the ‘‘cme’’ got kickbacks … well, maybe, and probably but i doubt it lasted much past the very next inport without some serious upgrading !!

Oh, so it has moved. I did a quick search and see that it is just off of SR84 on SW 4th Ave., to the north. I just wonder if it is has the same clientele.

it sure does… i tell lots of people doing classes at MPT to go there for lunch, its right around the corner, it weeds out a lot that wont cut it in the maritime buisness… the place had a fire a few years ago which it desperately needed to clean the place up, the only thing that survived were the beer cooler and 2 of the ancient bar tenders…
still one of the last cheap lunch special places around…

2 Likes

Reminds me of that song; “I’ve got friends in places Garth Brooks wouldn’t dare go in”

3 Likes

No doubt cmakin. Agree with exdraggerman. You can cull bad mariners in a jiffy in that must have environment. It ain’t that scientific or academic. Just another tool in the box to find out who has your back and can do the multitasking without too much noise. We are getting close perhaps sir where we may have crossed paths. Although, I have left out “The Green Door” (May have been Orange,Texas) Or Texas City, with the wooden phone booth with the flip down seat. Pocket full of nickels to call home.

Well, if we didn’t cross paths when I was sailing, we did when I was with ABS. . . and maybe in a gin joint of some kind. . . …

Wherever/whenever we crossed paths, I can assure you it was on good terms. I don’t think we sailed together, your love of cars and racing would have stood out. And most definitely you would have remembered me for fishing with the barge cranes. Was a motorhead for quite some time as well. Thinking perhaps a company conference/seminar regarding ABS stuff or…something else. Perhaps another avenue, Port Captain for Crowley in Lake Charles a ways back was a Hudgins. His uncle was my captain when we had the contract for Cities Service early 80’s. He “entertained” us a few times with the Crowley guys while in port.

Anchor Bar
Superior, WI (among dozens along Tower Ave going south of the harbor)

Best d@=m burger around, handcut fries, grumpy bar maids…and oh, the added flavor when the cook still smoked over the flat top grill. Ugh

1/3 to full 1# burgers with whatever (and I mean whatever) you can imagine to plop on a bar burger.

Still, great place with lots of atmosphere although now that it is popular with the North Shore hipsters it has lost a little bit of the former style.

Sorry I missed those burgers at Freddys. Would have saved me a bit further walk. Make my own heart cloggers now with all the fixins

2 Likes

Pretty sure that I didn’t sail with either Hudgins, but I do recall the name. Neither was port captain during my tenure at Crowley in Lake Charles. . . If you ever ran across any of the SEA SKIMMER bunch, well. . . . .

Is anyone familiar with the strip in Tacoma with all the bars. Also Port Angeles. A lot of Native Americans under the affluence of incohol. Had some wild nights there. No need for reservation.

2 Likes

"Reservation:. . . I saw what you did. . . .

I’ve tried to remember but forgotten the strip club in San Pedro that served a great breakfast 24 hours and hamburgers.
The problem was the deckhand after hours going there imbibing and then found his way into the auto lot across the street. He drove around dented a few cars then fell asleep in it. Arrested for DUI and grand theft auto instead of trespassing because he had the keys in his pocket. This was after the 7th Heaven (jail on 7th floor of police station) closed so shipped to downtown L.A…
Moral of story…leave the key!

Merchant’s, Heinhold’s, The Radio Room, JK’s, and 7TH West,in Oakland
Lucky 13, The Lost Weekend and the lemon tree in Alameda
Kate O’Brien’s in The City
La Mariana, Murphy’s Smith’s Union Bar, Hanks, Chez, and Suzie Wong’s Hideaway in Honolulu.
Toy’s tavern, The Horse and Cow, and the Seaman’s club on Guam
Godfather’s on Saipan

2 Likes

Never worked west coast, but very colorful names of bars. My brother worked LNG Virgo way back when out that way. Will share your post with him next time I see him.

1 Like

I saw lots of tugs crew changing in Providence, across the street from Cheaters. I was in that yard for a month or so, there were a few of those places on the way to the hotel. I am told $50 went a long way at Cheaters.

Strange law there’s, your not allowed to enter through the front doors. Have to walk around back. I imagine some politician had his picture taken walking in and got law passed to avoid a repeat scandal.

That would be the Pegasus Diner. Not really a strip club, but a diner where the gals would wear lingerie. Here is a blurb about it. Oh, and in Long Beach (Terminal Island, I believe), not Pedro. . . .http://oneforthetable.com/stories/food-family-and-memory/1539-pegasus-cafe-long-beach-ca

There was a hotel that put on a lingerie show at midday In Melbourne. I seem to remember they didn’t always keep it all on and one young lady preserved some modestly by using a colleagues tie.