Walker Ridge Incident

[QUOTE=powerabout;158349]So we learnt the processes after Piper Alpha but we never use them…
With all those processes in place we still allowed the DWH to accumulate one mistake after the other and finally end up as we know it
I stand by my statement.

PS who has a permit to work process where one permit is linked to another for the big picture scenario?[/QUOTE]

Evidently you have a reading comprehension problem. Read my post or have someone read it and explain it to you.

[QUOTE=powerabout;158349]

PS who has a permit to work process where one permit is linked to another for the big picture scenario?[/QUOTE]

I do. We have a control of work meeting every afternoon. Each department head plans the jobs and tasks that will happen in the next 24 hours, every job that has to have a permit has to be submitted 24 hours in advance and discussed at the control of work meeting. Each department head knows what every other department will be doing over the next day, so any interference or preplanning happens at the meeting. We can get a emergency permit, but still has to go through the OIM and maintenance supervisor then registered in the control or work log. The big white board at the permit center has every permitted job on the white board, and a color associated with it, red hot work, blue cold work and so on. It is actually easy to keep up with if the department heads are proactive and participate in the program. We have been doing this since I been on this rig.

CheifRob, that still sounds llike a lot of human interaction which is what gets cut when pressure applied, the other issue that happens with this is when the timing changes and the jobs are not completed in the originally planned order. Whoever is working in the afternoon may not be working at midnight and so on.

I like Anchormans system where there is an electronic step linking permitts if in fact the are linked.
2 issues here, permitts that cannot be done together and permitts that need to be done in specific order but by different departments all have potential to go wrong.

Department heads are still responsible for what happens in their department. Even if they are off watch a plan A, plan B and plan C are always discussed. A leader that cannot handle a shift change and keep continuity flowing does not stay a department head long.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;158708]Department heads are still responsible for what happens in their department. Even if they are off watch a plan A, plan B and plan C are always discussed. A leader that cannot handle a shift change and keep continuity flowing does not stay a department head long.[/QUOTE]
Easy to say but something comes up that requires a new plan at night and the planner is not there, you have to tell your staff to manage themselves meaning ( why do you need me).
You are then handing out permits with a plan that has to assume there will be no requirement to alter the plan which is not reality.
A guy goes into a column all night to do say 2 permitted jobs is not having a meeting before each job is he?
An electronic process that says I cant do my permit till another has closed is kind of fool proof. ie they are linked.
Paper based system is better then nothing but thats all I could say about it.

The piper alpha had 2 permits one for the safety valve and one for the motor, the guys who re wired the pump back to run it didnt know about the valve…oops bang.

We’ve got a pretty brisk loop current out here at Mississippi Canyon right now at 3+ knots.

[QUOTE=Capnklump;158785]We’ve got a pretty brisk loop current out here at Mississippi Canyon right now at 3+ knots.[/QUOTE]
And how much pressure on the DPO’s to still allow PM’s on thrusters to go ahead after a week or so of high current?