Wages

Have you seen the Subchapter M COIs that allow the owners to operate coastwise boats with only four men?

First of all, we should not be allowed to operate one or two men short of a proper crew.

Secondly, if we are going to run short handed we should get paid extra for it.

3 Likes

Nailed it Tugsailor. Was never that concerned with my yearly evaluations, maybe a little bit though. I was treated fairly, for what itā€™s worth.

1 Like

Four men offshore tug is not safe in any mans world.

4 Likes

I got a call for a Chiefs job with a dredge out fit for their tug for 275 per day I told them I was making more than that in 1989
Cheap companies get what they deserve

3 Likes

Some are most arenā€™t union pay is better for the most part but not near enough for what we have to do to maintain our licenses and STCW

Another point that perhaps goes unnoticed in the wage/benefit calculations.Although the costs are much higher now to maintain said licenses when I was sailing, AMO classes picked that up. Nothing to sneeze at. Many companies have abandoned their training budgets. Not on here to sell AMO to anyone, but was treated fairly and got the upgrades I needed for very little out of pocket. Canā€™t imagine what the costs are now, but do know it ainā€™t cheap.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sick of hearing this excuse from 2/Mā€™s trying to upgrade to C/M. The pay raise more than covers whatever the cost of the classes is. So bite the bullet and get it over with. Youā€™re certainly not going to get the job without the license.

Or take 5 years to do it and donā€™t get the raise. Quit being lazy.

I have had to pay out of pocket for every up grade or renewal of my license I never had a company including Crowley help pick up the tab

1 Like

Just because one MIGHT get a promotion and pay raise that covers the cost over time does not in any way justify the egregious cost of upgrading to C/M. Not one bit. It is a huge burden for some peopleā€™s financial situations.

5 Likes

Just go away. If this is a discussion about US wages, you are not party to the discussion. You are neither an American nor do you work in the US. Your hatred (jealously) of Americans is well known and documented here. Just stop. Please. Enough.

I handled a claim back in '98. Four man tug, Captain and co-captain (father and son. . .and an odd dynamic) with two deckhands. Ran the thing right up onto a reef off of the southern Yucatan, on their way to Belize. . .needless to say, the stories didnā€™t jibe. . . . .

ā€œTell me something I donā€™t knowā€ is an idiom, means the same thing as ā€œpreaching to the choir.ā€

I did have to sell my beloved 65 Mustang 289 rally package to cover my household expenses to get my first license. School was free through SIU then but no wages coming in while attending. I wish I still had that beast,but it went to a good cause. I needed the license more than the car. It is insane the numbers the mariners pay out to upgrade or even maintain what licenses a mariner has to endure these days.

Have they restored the defined benefit pension? What is the current level of funding?

Oh sorry, did I post some facts that didnā€™t meet with your approval? :grin:

Wrong!!! I have no reason to hat (or be ā€œJealouslyā€ of) any Americans. What you think or feel is not ā€œdocumentedā€.

Yes I know what it is and what it means.
Next time Iā€™ll try to remember to put a couple of smilies behind anything I post that is meant sarcastically, or as a joke.

I donā€™t think bug hates Americans. Jump my bones all you want,I have rather large shoulders. His posts at times leave me scratching my head, but for a large part, are quite informational.

3 Likes

I also donā€™t think Ombugge hates Americans either, he just hates hypocrisy. I do too. He does take delight in pointing out that American ā€œexceptionalismā€ isnā€™t quite as advertised but I know that already. I listen to all points of view and being moderately intelligent a different point of view doesnā€™t bother me a lot. This forum is not an echo chamber of like minds. Itā€™s just a bunch of sailors in various stages of their career from all over the world expressing their opinions and sharing their experiences. Itā€™s kinda like a galley in that respect. Ombugge is welcome to join me at my table. I have antacid in my cabin if needed. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You are right. I donā€™t ā€œhateā€ anybody, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or nationality. I DO despise hypocrisy, no matter where or by whom.
If somebody take that as an insult to them, or to their country, so be it.

Chill, we know that. But sometimes we must suffer fools gently. We must also never fail to recognize our own hypocrisy.

1 Like

The Basic State Pension is here for a single person at the moment $ 16916.- per year. A married couple gets less than the double amount.