WAAS vs DGPS

Does anyone know why WAAS should not be used for a maritime navigation augmented signal. It seems a hot potato with the USCG (NAVCEN) and the FAA as they both have their maintain their own systems, yet the augmented signal is just as accurate and reliable as the other. There also seems to be a new generation of marine antennas which use WAAS as the augmented signal. As a ships pilot is it important to know if the DGPS signal is the satellite based signal or land based?

I’ve been curious myself since this comment showed up on the blog linking to Cringely’s article on WAAS.

I don’t think there are many issues in using it close to shore as I know a number of DP systems now integrate WAAS in the signal but as you get further out to sea and away from the ground reference stations, which collect the data used to generate the corrections, the accuracy degrades and eventually you loose the signal entirely.

Hopefully some of the DPOs on thei forum can give a more accurate answer.

J,
I wonder what the impact of the next cycle of solar flares will have on the GPS system. I have read various articles in scientific periodicals over the years about the GPS signal being “drowned out” by the effects of the flares - though nothing has appeared recently that I have seen…I think the cycle predicted increased activity in 2011/2012.
MTSKIER

[quote=mtskier;15246]J,
I wonder what the impact of the next cycle of solar flares will have on the GPS system. I have read various articles in scientific periodicals over the years about the GPS signal being “drowned out” by the effects of the flares - though nothing has appeared recently that I have seen…I think the cycle predicted increased activity in 2011/2012.
MTSKIER[/quote]

I just watch that moving “knowing” with Nickolas Cage…about a solar flare event. Pretty decent movie.