KATHLEEN AND MAY built in 1900 at Ferguson and Baird’s yard in Flintshire. She is undergoing restoration work in the dry dock at Nielsons shipyard in Gloucester. Nielsons are one of the world’s leading specialists in repairing, restoring and building traditional ships and rigging. KATHLEEN AND MAY is the last remaning British built, wooden Hull, three masted top sail schooner.
Photo: Eileen Hayes ©
The ship is a Temes Class River Monitor. She was originally commissioned into the Austro-Hungarian Navy in 1904 as the BODRAG. She subsequently served in a number of different Navies as the SAVA until finally being decommissioned from the Yugoslav Navy in 1962. She was eventually restored and in late 2021 was opened to the public as a Museum Ship in Belgrade Photo: Linda Fletcher ©
Museum tug HUDSON returned to her homeport Maassluis last Friday after a much needed drydocking at the Padmos Shipyard at Stellendam. The shipyard did an excellent job and she looks (almost) new again. Assisted by the ADRIAAN (Kotug) and TONIJN (ex van der Tak) manned by volunteer crews she made the passage in perfect winter weather.
HUDSON was built in 1939 and was the prototype for a whole class of near similar, slightly larger tugs. Her engine was a 5 cylinder VBF-535 Baumeister & Wain of only 600 hp. That did not stop her from roaming around the globe, performing all sorts of tows until 1963 when she was sold for scrap. After removal of her interiors and machinery she was converted into a flake ice factory for the fishing fleet of Stellendam. In 1989 she was sold for scrap a second time, but a group of enthusiasts under guidance of Piet de Nijs stepped in and saved her. She is now a static museum ship at Maassluis with the permanent exhibition on board on the Dutch merchant navy during World War 2. HUDSON played a vital and heroic role in this period.
The drydocking drained most of the bank account of the foundation, so any donations are more than welcome in order to keep this unique vessel preserved for future generations:
Bank account nr: NL25RABO0149046022, Stichting Help de Hudson
Draafjeld, a real veteran with “many miles on the clock”
As built in 1889:
New rig in 1911:
De-rigged and motorized in 1931. She traded on the Norwegian coast until 1977:
Refurbished and full restored back to as close to original as possible by1981. Now used to carry tourists on cruises to Svalbard and Bear Island and later on longer trips to Australia and America.
Calling at NYC in 1992:
Her history (in Norwegian):
Nothing beats the look of Scandinavian liner ships from the 1950s/60s:
Sailed in Fred Olsen’s Scandinavia/Europe - USWC line.
Sailed in Thor Dahl’s Pacific line. Seen here as Thorsisle (1970-75):
A veteran catamaran fast ferry bites the dust (maybe?):
The catamaran “Buenos Aires Express”, in its stage with Colonia Express
The catamaran “Buenos Aires Express”, moored in Carmelo, pending it’s destiny.
The next catamaran with the same name had an accident in 1999 at nearly the same location as the older Sleipner in 1976.
This accident ended more tragically, with the loss of 16 lives:
Radio communication from the accident in 1999:
A real beauty from bygone days. M/S Sandar, blt. 1953:
Anybody who sailed on Liberty ships may find this interesting: Ships of the World (Built before 1980) | Facebook
This little reefer ship did regular trips across the North Atlantic carrying frozen fish from Norway to Gloucester, MA.
A lot of young boys from Ålesund and the surrounding district got their first trip at sea on board this ship. (No, I was not one of them)
PS> She was originally owned by a German company and intended as a support vessel for a Whale Factory ship. Sold to A/L Norsk Frysetransport, Ålesund in 1955.
The Danish Royal yacht DANNEBROG arriving in Thorshavn, Faroer in 2018 with the Danish Royal Family onboard. Photo: Ed de Graaf ©
Here is a former side trawler that was converted to Seismic Survey in the late 1960s:
The converted side trawler Petrel was one of the first Norwegian oil exploration vessels to operate in several parts of the world; here during a call in Malta. Photo Michael Cassar
Petrel* of Tromsø was chartered to Shell in the spring of 1968 for operations in the Far East and later came to South America for SSL.
She was not the only Norwegian fishing vessel that got converted and worked worldwide:
There is a list of converted fishing vessels at the end of the article.
Here is one that ended up being scrapped in Singapore in 1995:
The factory trawler Longva II was leased from 1975 by Geco and rigged for seismic; later bought and renamed Geco Kappa
Seen here after conversion as Geco Kappa:
PS> I inspected her for the buyer and was amazed that she was in immaculate condition, with hardly any rust to be seen, except for the parts that had been added on at conversion in 1975.
The buyer intended her “for further trading”, but a clause in the contract prohibited use as seismic vessel and converting to other use proved too expensive.
The ASTORIA awaiting her faith in the port of Rotterdam
Photo: Jan Willem Monster ©