Vessel shot at in Houma, La

Crazy world only getting crazier

1 Like

Sign done said no wake y’eard me

1 Like

I was warned about that…in 1978. They always said you could get shot at for wakin’.

Anybody want bet that his QHES department asked to see his Job Safety Analysis & asked what steps he took not to be shot?

11 Likes

LMAO sir

No, they are just going to let him go for not having safety glasses on.

5 Likes

“Where is the objective evidence you were not trying to get shot?” -Workboat office people

2 Likes

Pirates in Louisiana?

Again?

Risk Assessment failed to consider Line of Fire…

Its the fucking wild west down there.

America’s homegrown third world shithole, “Appalachia on the Bayou.”

I worked in NY Harbor for a few years. More than a few stories about backwards dumb bayou tugboaters being shot at by civilized, sophisticated yankees? More than a few guys telling the stories seemed proud about it to me.

If they were ever to do do an enema to the country, they would/should start there.

2 Likes

steamboat’s pilothouses were shot out on the river for what the locals considered inappropriate wakes. This was recorded in newspapers as early as the 1800’s. They been at this stuff for a long time.

No wake means no wake, yeard me?

“Why it did happen was …”

These things happens “everywhere”.
In 1969 Australian LCTs carrying mining equipment from Base Camp 1 at Amamapare to the Helipad, Base Camp 2 at Pomoco, West Papua, Indonesia for the construction of the Grasberg Mine for US company Freeport-McMoran Inc. was regularly shot at with bow & arrows by warriors of the Asmat tribe that did not like intruders in their territory.
Luckily their stone tipped arrows didn’t penetrat the canvas cover that protected the wheelhouse and boat deck.

Never heard of this place? Here is some background:

1 Like

Cleveland, South Chicago…spooky stuff.

I seem to recall at some point on the Calcasieu River that someone would shoot at vessels. . .I think that the area even had a nickname like Shotgun Point. . . .

1 Like

I seem to remember a port engineer/captain last name of Hudgins for Crowley in Lake Charles. He did not endear himself to the local dudes, The ladies loved him. I knew him through his uncle Robert, all products of Matthews County, Va. Very astute mariners. With a helluva drawl. Damn good sailors.

I am familiar with the Hudgins name, and may have sailed with one or two. Pretty sure that Bobby did work for Crowley, and I believe was relieving a late friend/captain of mine over at Kirby.

1 Like