USS Thomas Edison

SSBN-610

A non mariner friend has somehow gotten attached to this particular submarine and the history of it…It seems it had a Steinway Piano on board for 20+ years…He is in touch with Steinway now, trying to locate the piano, and he is also starting a blog about the boat in general…I realize it’s a long shot but I was wondering if anyone here crossed paths with this particular boat…Thanks

413kThis Steinway piano spent 22 years (1961-1983) aboard the ballistic missile submarine [B][I]Thomas A. Edison[/I] (SSBN-610)[/B], the only full size piano ever installed aboard a submarine conducting nuclear deterrent patrols. Part of the artifact collection of the Naval Historical Center on the Washington Navy Yard, its being temporarily loaned back today, 11 Jun. 2003 to Steinway in return for a complete restoration. It is then scheduled to go on display this summer at the Steinway Company Museum in New York in an exhibit celebrating the 150 years of the famous piano company.
Photo # O-0000X-001 courtesy of Steinway Piano Company /US Navy.

[B]Good luck to your friend Shellback. Someone, somewhere, has worked with someone who built it, that painted it, that worked on it, that taked to the guy who lives next door to the one who tuned the piano[I]. phew :)[/I][/B]

My best friend, who lives up the street was on the Edison. Tell your friend to write me if he has questions google can’t answer and I’ll forward it. Edison sailed a long time ago, memories fade…

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;25174]My best friend, who lives up the street was on the Edison. Tell your friend to write me if he has questions google can’t answer and I’ll forward it. Edison sailed a long time ago, memories fade…[/QUOTE]

Jeff, when my friend came to me with this, you were the first person I thought of…

I sent you a PM a few days ago about this , when you didn’t answer I figured you weren’t getting the PM’s…I thought about posting a private message, in the “New”, private message section,…but decided against it, after seeing how it was working out for Capt Lee…:smiley:

Thats pretty much the info he has on it too, except they aren’t really sure where the piano is…One of the Steinway people sent him pics of it but someone else has been tasked to help him find it…Sounds like they are being very helpful to him…

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;25173]413kThis Steinway piano spent 22 years (1961-1983) aboard the ballistic missile submarine [B][I]Thomas A. Edison[/I] (SSBN-610)[/B], the only full size piano ever installed aboard a submarine conducting nuclear deterrent patrols. Part of the artifact collection of the Naval Historical Center on the Washington Navy Yard, its being temporarily loaned back today, 11 Jun. 2003 to Steinway in return for a complete restoration. It is then scheduled to go on display this summer at the Steinway Company Museum in New York in an exhibit celebrating the 150 years of the famous piano company.
Photo # O-0000X-001 courtesy of Steinway Piano Company /US Navy.

[B]Good luck to your friend Shellback. Someone, somewhere, has worked with someone who built it, that painted it, that worked on it, that taked to the guy who lives next door to the one who tuned the piano[I]. phew :)[/I][/B][/QUOTE]