USS J McCain / Alnic MC collision near Singapore

Just making sure you guys saw this

Yes, 0624 JST, 0524 Singapore (+8)

FYI MPA Singapore are posting regular updates.

There is a radar on Horsburgh relaying into the VTS so they will have the full picture.

The light is at elevation of 31m, that puts the radar at a guess of +/- 40m

No Spin for the USN…

It is also interesting, but probably not inportant, is that the collision occurred at the reporting point for Straitrep, the Singapore VTS

If there is dense traffic you are standing VHF in hand waiting to jump in as you cross the line.

AIS has enormously helped in this area.

1 Like

Just a question >>>

The McCain is not a stealth ship (…unlike the ‘Stealth Alnic MC’ tanker… managed by the ‘Stealth Maritime Corp.’ of Greece !).
However, with her never vertical superstructures, her absence of ‘inbound’ corners to act as Radar reflectors and probably Radar waves absorbing surfaces, she is optimized to return a small Radar signature.

How does she appear on a ship’s Radar screen, compared to ‘normal’ ships of similar dimensions?
Otherwise, how small a ship would she appear to be?

Just a quick Q: are USN warships on manual steering as a matter of routine? Would this include crossing a TSS?
UK merchant practice would be to adjust the auto-pilot except for large changes of direction.

AB DDG has aprox 1/50th the radar cross section of a ‘typical’ vessel her size

And yes, manually steered as a matter of routine.

1 Like

Do they have and use any means of making themselves more visible on radar, such as radar reflector(s)?
Could come in handy to let others detect and plot them in traffic congested areas.

1 Like

It seems like this might be good for tactical reasons as well, since the radar reflector could be stowed when they wanted to be sneaky.

1 Like

Even with heavy rain or sea clutter in use??

Latest from Straits Times:-
"Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) said in response to queries from The Straits Times on Wednesday (Aug 23) …"

Pretty much what was evident from Vesselfinder AIS vid. Article seems ambiguous on whether JSM was undetectable by AIS and RADAR.

I believe that the collision happened after the vessels had entered the TSS and Singapore VTS area.
It has been a while since I had to worry about reporting to VTS by myself, but as far as I can recall all vessels entering the VTS area were required to call and identify themselves with a full set of info, incl. even air draft.
Even when transiting from VTS East to VTS West reporting was required, but that may have changed now.

So my question is; does USN vessels follow such procedures, or are they exempt from even such requirements?

As I read that article, they are saying they did not see McCain on AiS (no surprise) nor on Radar, which is a bit of a surprise because (as mentioned above) there is a radar on Horsburgh lighthouse (at about 40m height) feeding the VTS (this is well within range of the collision area).

The collision was just 4.6 NM NNE of the Horsburgh Radar.

What you’re describing is a modern version of the “Sailing Master” of the 17-18th C. British Navy. Officers were often (but not always) from fairly upper class backgrounds and SOME had little interest in learning the maritime arts except perhaps those of the fighting sailor. They were educated in navigation, ship handling under sail, etc. by their Lieutenants and their sailing master but many really weren’t professional mariners although they had the King’s commission.

The Sailing Masters on the other hand, typically came up through the ranks of petty officers and merchant navy mates. They held the King’s warrant (warrant officers) and were almost entirely concerned ONLY with the navigation and pilotage of the ship. They ranked just behind the Lieutenants and ahead of the midshipmen and were addressed as “Mr…” Typically, the Sailing Master was responsible for the navigator’s “days work”, position logs, etc… Decision making still resided entirely with the Captain, but wise Captains listened closely to their Sailing Masters in matters of navigation, pilotage, etc…

By about the 1830’s, the position of Sailing Master had been replaced by “navigating Lieutenants”, and eventually, all Lieutenants were expected to master navigating and piloting skills. But I agree that reviving the position of “Sailing Master” might be one way to solve some of the Navy’s apparent problems!

3 Likes

I could not say it better.

Not only am I aware of that but that’s exactly what I modeled my suggestion after. (We’ve discussed the old sailing masters a few times already on here in the light of recent events.)

1 Like

STRAITREP is the VTS setup in the area

and Google - MPA STRAITREP
It’s much the same as GIBREP, CALDOVREP and so on.
Applies, as usual, to anything >300GT etc, don’t know about warship exemptions…

Wait, so there were two CDR Sanchez’s on the same ship? I imagine that would never get confusing ever…

This illustrates that the first reporting point for entering the easternmost Sector 9 of the STRAITREP Operational Area was not yet reached when the collision happened. And to be honest, I doubt that a report by the involved ships to the VTS would have helped anything in avoiding the accident.

Fortunately, the decisions on how to navigate vessels in VTS areas are still being made by navigators on board the ships, and not by people sitting behind radar screens ashore…

As has been mentioned before, the following factors give reasons to anticipate (conjecture) that it was an “Overtaking” situation (Colreg #13), and that the John S. McCain was the overtaking ship:

• The ships were in the westbound TSS lane when the collision occurred

• The Alnic MC and the John S. McCain were both coming from the South China Sea, and were both bound for Singapore

• The AIS indicated that the Alnic MC was proceeding at slightly reduced speed at the time of the accident (9.4 knots). This is somewhat slower than in the initial part of the AIS capture (10.8 knots), and even more so than the max speed reported by Marinetraffic during her voyage from Korea to Singapore (12.3 knots)

• The John S. McCain has a maximum speed of more than 30 knots

• The Colreg #10 c) states that “A vessel shall, so far as practicable, avoid crossing traffic lanes…”

Hence, I find it very little probable that this was a “Crossing” situation (Colreg #15). If this was an “Overtaking” situation, and if John S. McCain was the overtaking ship, Colreg #13 clearly states that it is her responsibility “to keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.” And furthermore, that: “Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.”

I’ve worked several times on a USNS Auxiliary that routinely operates with AIS in receive only mode for Operational Security reasons. We only transmit when we’re going into or leaving port, or at the Master’s discretion.

One thing I have noticed is that foreign vessels are much less likely to either initiate or respond to collision avoidance calls on VHF 16 when you’re not transmitting on AIS. This isn’t a problem with US-flag ships, they always come back on the first or second call. My personal theory is that its a language thing- its much easier to identify a ship’s name on AIS than it is to understand and act on “I am the white-hulled vessel off your port bow range 4.5 miles.”

Anyone else noticed a reluctance by foreign mates to make or respond to VHF calls when they don’t know the other vessel’s name?

Yes, I have indeed noticed the same thing.
My theory is that the problem is that you native Americans speak English too good :rofl:
I think that there is a barrier to answer a call being transmitted in fluent American accent, by non-native English speakers, in particular those that understand that their command of the English language is very basic (although fully sufficient), and that they themselves will have to stammer with evident plain foreign accent.
I think that this barrier will become less significant, if you speak very slow and very clear English when calling foreign ships.

1 Like