USNS Fisher- fuel oil spill in Boston Ship Repair graving dock

Anybody see this on the main page? Not a lot of details, as to who what when etc but damn, what a mess. 11,000 gallons.

I’m familiar with that dock and the bottom is concrete. It will be a bear to clean.

This is a very good reminder of why license holders should carry insurance. The insurance policy comes with an attorney on call for you.

http://gcaptain.com/us-navy-ship-spills-oil-into-boston-dry-dock-photos/

Thats a lot of fuel. I wonder if it was a gusher or if someone wasn’t paying attention to the hoses and vents.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;140945]Thats a lot of fuel. I wonder if it was a gusher or if someone wasn’t paying attention to the hoses and vents.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know. There’s little info in the article. No telling if they were transferring fuel to facilitate tank inspection or removing fuel to a tanker truck or what. I feel bad for the engineers because the op company, MSC, the CG and the P&I club lawyers will descend upon them like locusts. BSR will do everything it can to shift blame off of them even if blame is well deserved. Personal experience.

They do chaos well. But it is good to see that ancient graving dock still working and all those shipyard workers making a paycheck in that neck of the woods. Believe it or not they had a few commercial Canadian vessels come in.

I feel sorry for the next ship that used that dock. If there is anything left there will be a sheen and they will get blamed for it!

I’m not sure that the licensed folks on that ship have anything to worry about from the Coast Guard.

Once the doors to the graving dock close, (and I’ve been in that dock), and the water is pumped out, it’s no longer considered a “ship”, but is the yard’s responsibility.

If you’re going to have a spill, THAT’S when and where to have one.

Now EPA might give you grief, but go after your license?

Gotta watch those bottom plugs…

[QUOTE=Bilgeman;140999]I’m not sure that the licensed folks on that ship have anything to worry about from the Coast Guard.

Once the doors to the graving dock close, (and I’ve been in that dock), and the water is pumped out, it’s no longer considered a “ship”, but is the yard’s responsibility.

If you’re going to have a spill, THAT’S when and where to have one.

Now EPA might give you grief, but go after your license?[/QUOTE]

I’ve been in that dock too, a time or three and I hope you’re right about this one, but when we had our “incident” the yard did everything it could to divest itself of any liability regardless of the language in the work package. It took lawyers to sort out who paid for what.

The Iona Mcallister was there with a barge, sucking up some spill related materials. I’d guess they partially flooded it to do so.

[QUOTE=catherder;141115]I’ve been in that dock too, a time or three and I hope you’re right about this one, but when we had our “incident” the yard did everything it could to divest itself of any liability regardless of the language in the work package. It took lawyers to sort out who paid for what.[/QUOTE]

Whaaaa? There were LAWYERS involved? LAWYERS!!!???

About something related to ships and maritime and what-not?

Whodathunkit?

Frankly, the only question is what restaurants they met up at for a “billable hours” business lunch, and how many times they went.

[QUOTE=Bilgeman;141201]Whaaaa? There were LAWYERS involved? LAWYERS!!!???

About something related to ships and maritime and what-not?

Whodathunkit?

Frankly, the only question is what restaurants they met up at for a “billable hours” business lunch, and how many times they went.[/QUOTE]

If you only knew. I have had the privilege of dealing with a sizable mishap at this very shipyard and believe me, the respective P&I clubs trot out the suits and briefcases. We also had surveyors and investigators crawling the ship and deposing crew members (taking statements) and gearing up for a fight behind closed doors over who was going to pay for what. It happens. It wasn’t any fun. We got through it.

And this being near the business district of Bah-Stohn, they had plenty of choices for fine dining (and whining)