USMMA should be transferred to Military Sealift Command

With all the the problems faced within MARAD and the US Merchant Marine Academy, there should be a push to place Kings Point under the control of Military Sealift Command.
First MARAD has become ineffectual in it’s management of Kings Point and the US Maritime Industry. So to keep MARAD operating is a waste of tax payer money.
First get rid of the majority of RRF ships, sell them off. Most of the strategic sealift can be filled using the MSP program. Having dozens of ships sitting on the hook or moored and paying to maintain them is a waste of tax payer money. Second, having mariners sitting at the dock watching tv or sitting in Diego lifting weights or drinking beer doesn’t not build a strong well trained cadre of US Mariners.

Third, transferring KP to MSC could help better align mariner training. Granted a small percentage of KP graduates go into MSC but it does give MSC a stake in mariner training, as well as having a senior naval officer who somewhat understands the industry overseeing the institution. MSC has a stake in ensuring that grads would meet not only STCW 95 but STCW 2010 and ensure that graduates would obtain such endorsements as Tankerman PIC, Medical PIC, DPO, Fast Rescue Boats and VSO. Also instructors could come from the MSC fleet for mariners that would like to come ashore for a few years to work on a master’s degree or have time home with their family.

The navy is moving to have the head of MSC be a maritime grad, this too can help the federal maritime academy as it again puts someone overseeing the school who at least went to a maritime college. Also a possibility, that prior to taking over as the head of MSC, the Rear Admiral would become superintendent (make it an actual navy 1 star position) for a period of 3 years, then move on to the head of MSC.

With that being said, MSC could also set up a continuing education program at KP. It would be a good place to set up Chief Mate/Master classes for MSC officers, unlicensed training for MSC crew, and even naval training for MSC navy officers and reserve officers. KP could be the head of MSC training working closely with Earle NJ. Also since it would be us government run organization it can offer training to the naval reserve, army reserve, NOAA and the USCG.

Since MSC now has a big had in the Strategic Sealift Officer Program (MMR Program), this would facilitate NROTC training at KP. Naval Science officer could be reservists that come on active duty for 3 years to teach the midshipman. This would be better than having a Penn State grad teaching KP students what it means to be a program that the guy teaching the classes has no idea about. This too would better prepare students for life after graduation with regards to opportunities in the SSO program and what is expected of them upon graduation.

Also the Commandant and all Company Officers could be replaced by active duty MSC Naval Officers. These could be counted as division and department head tours especially since the navy created a sub surface warefare designator for MSC. This too would better train the students as they have individuals that would at least understand how the regiment relates to shipping as compared to a retired Marine Corps E-7.

Finally it would put the school and it’s funding under DOD, which could give better control of the school to those in charge, it would also streamline alumni gift giving, making the same rules as West Point, Annapolis and Air Force. This too would effect control of the academy and the influence of a select few.

Now I realize that this post will get some interesting posts, most will be about closing it. However just some thoughts on how to make the place better.

Leave it open but for all mariners licensed, unlicensed 100 ton to UL Master. Government funded training for us all at central location. MSC can’t run what they got. They would make KP look worse than it does now if that’s possible. Too bad the alumni association can’t get together and buy the place out right. Their legacy could be making the once great institution meaningful again.

FYI NOAA has used KP for its training for the last 20 years. It has recently moved to the USCG academy with the closing of GMATS.

Excellent post, leadline. I’m a 62 graduate of KP. KP has been terribly mismanaged for two or more decades. I’ve been posting for the termination of Kings Point as a Federal Academy, eliminate the regimental system, a system put in place with the beginning of the Academy as KP produced both capable Naval and Licensed Maritime Officers, open Kings Poinht facilities to both Licensed and Unlicensed United States Merchant Seamen for training and upgrading, and end this spectacle of KP today. Your suggestion is well thought out and it could work and work well, THAT, by itself, might be enough to jink any success of your idea being implemented. Very good post, though, I like your positive as I’ve been quite negative about my old school lately.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;78492]Leave it open but for all mariners licensed, unlicensed 100 ton to UL Master. Government funded training for us all at central location.[/QUOTE]

I’ve posted similar suggestions (hey, you left the engineers in the cold here).

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;78492]MSC can’t run what they got. They would make KP look worse than it does now if that’s possible[/QUOTE]

I sailed for MSC for several years in the 70’s and at least back then I must tell you MSC was doing an excellent job.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;78492]Too bad the alumni association can’t get together and buy the place out right. Their legacy could be making the once great institution meaningful again.[/QUOTE]

The USMMAAA has neen part of the problem all along. What makes you think they can handle the situation?

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;78496]FYI NOAA has used KP for its training for the last 20 years. It has recently moved to the USCG academy with the closing of GMATS.[/QUOTE]

That is old news that NOAA had been training at KP for it’s BOTC classes. The point being that if MSC took control of KP and opened their own continuing education programs it would be easy to come back for training. By the way, as I’m sure you know, NOAA officers were obtaining their STCW 95 certificates of training with the idea that they could obtain their license.

Sweat n Grease

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping to maybe stimulate the conversion on KP and maybe get people to think outside the box and move the place in a more forward direction.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;78492]Leave it open but for all mariners licensed, unlicensed 100 ton to UL Master. Government funded training for us all at central location. MSC can’t run what they got. They would make KP look worse than it does now if that’s possible. Too bad the alumni association can’t get together and buy the place out right. Their legacy could be making the once great institution meaningful again.[/QUOTE]

Fargrat
You wouldn’t want the alumni association running KP.

They could just let SUNY manage it as a state school. Then take all the money that is pumped into that place and disperse it to all of the state academies. Lower tuition across the board to stimulate new interest in a sea going career by having a more affordable education option.

If they did that there would be no need for SUNY Maritime then. Military Sealift Command could easily take over KP and then take over the function that MARAD had with regards to subsidies to the state schools. The state schools would probably benefit better from closer ties to MSC. This would give MSC a stake in the state schools and ensuring that they are funded and receive the money and equipment that they need.
Transfer of MSC ships to KP or that state schools for training purposes would be better and there would be less government involvement of department to department transfers.

Sorry i didn’t mean to leave us out like that. I thought most of the problem was mismanagement by govt types and the usual bureaucratic BS. Too bad I’m sure there are many more grads like you out there that hate the current state of things. Seems like there would be enough of y’all to pull a coup on the alumni board and straighten things out.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;78507]Sorry i didn’t mean to leave us out like that. I thought most of the problem was mismanagement by govt types and the usual bureaucratic BS. Too bad I’m sure there are many more grads like you out there that hate the current state of things. Seems like there would be enough of y’all to pull a coup on the alumni board and straighten things out.[/QUOTE]

No need for any apology Fragrat, this is an open forum and you posted nothing offensive in any way, shape, or form.
There are KP graduates who feel as I, perhaps many, yet we can not do anything by ourselves. We need Congress to handle the situation, THAT even makes it more unlikely anything will get done. I have made my views know to my State’s Senators and my Congressman, of course, it’s election year, so!!!

Question…

Can anyone name one thing government has ever run efficiently?
I don’t think so.

Sell the damn place and privatize it. Just like the post office and Amtrak should be. And for gods sake repeal obamacare before that joins the list.

KP has no place in the security of the nation or sustaining its ranks of war ready mariners any more.

Sink or swim.

I KNOW!..lease the place to Shell US and they can turn it into a world class clown academy! They’ve shown themselves to be the perfectly adept at running a clown circus already so it’s a natural for them…

and the best part of it is that not one member of the staff or faculty need look for a new job…they’ve shown themselves to be master clowns as well!

You know, Helis might not want to stay so it’s just possible that they’d need a new superintendent for the place…maybe I could have the job? I’ve already got my clownface and everything!

I mean everybody loves a clown! RIGHT?

[QUOTE=Knots;78526]Question…

Can anyone name one thing government has ever run efficiently?
I don’t think so.

Sell the damn place and privatize it. Just like the post office and Amtrak should be. And for gods sake repeal obamacare before that joins the list.

KP has no place in the security of the nation or sustaining its ranks of war ready mariners any more.

Sink or swim.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because Amtrak and the Post Office are making so much money.

[QUOTE=leadline;78538]Yeah because Amtrak and the Post Office are making so much money.[/QUOTE]

You left out the National Flood Insurance Program and its evil mutant child, FEMA. . . .

That said, MSC running KP couldn’t be worse than the current situation and may actually make more people accountable for what happens there. . . .

I’m not saying the idea is without merit but there still is a matter of budget to keep the place open and running. It isn’t going to cost less to run a KP under MSC management and that is the real gist of all this. As bad as KP is managed by MarAd, it just costs the taxpayer too damned much for what it produces and that would not change under MSC management. If the idea behind the spending is to create a pool of mariners for emergency sealift demands, give scholarships to state school students what make them obligated to serve on RRF ships in a national emergency. We can get more mariners for less money that way.

For my own two cents worth, the goal should be to make KP the best maritime school in the world with the best and most relevant training.

If I were given this task, I would start by identifying the top maritime schools in the world and carefully studying their programs. I’d hire top administrators from those schools to totally revamp US maritime education. I’d do whatever it takes to obtain as many visiting professors as possible from those schools and send the best KP faculty as visiting professors to those schools.

I agree that KP should provide free (or reasonable cost) training for existing mariners.

Let’s be honest, KP is falling behind. The state schools are innovative in their approaches to maritime education and are on the leading edge with regards to the industry. Some will argue with me on this, but look at CMA’s new simulator, CMA offering TOAR, Great Lakes is offering TOAR, Maine working with the offshore and drilling industry, Maine and it’s limited license programs, SUNY and it’s limited license programs, and Texas with the offshore industry.
My point is take KP away from a government appointee who may or may not have a background in the maritime industry, who is more concerned with their next job after an election cycle then doing a great job in their current position.
At least under MSC, MSC has a stake in making sure that KP would produce competent mariners, instead of military officers of shoreside leaders.