USCG "Sea Time" Definition?

Hello All,

I am trying to find in the CFRs the definition of “sea time” as in what counts as a “day at sea?” I always understood that to count as a day at sea you had to be “underway” for at least 4 hours to count the day for sea time. However, I have been taking to several mariners and they tell me a day is every day you are on the boat EVEN at the dock as long as you stood a watch?! I have been looking everywhere and I cannot find it in the CFRs. I know there was a thread on this but now I can not find it?

Thanks

Have a look at:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/policy_letters/pdfs/09-01.pdf

Talks about sea time for a boat that has a COI and not underway.

CFR 46 10.107

Day means, for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this subchapter, eight hours of watchstanding or day-working not to include overtime. On vessels where a 12-hour working day is authorized and practiced, each work day may be creditable as one and one-half days of service. On vessels of less than 100 gross register tons, a day is considered as eight hours unless the Coast Guard determines that the vessel’s operating schedule makes this criteria inappropriate, in no case will this period be less than four hours. When computing service required for MODU endorsements, a day is a minimum of four hours, and no additional credit is received for periods served over eight hours.

Does not say underway?

[QUOTE=Boating Guy;93140]CFR 46 10.107

Day means, for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this subchapter, eight hours of watchstanding or day-working not to include overtime. On vessels where a 12-hour working day is authorized and practiced, each work day may be creditable as one and one-half days of service. On vessels of less than 100 gross register tons, a day is considered as eight hours unless the Coast Guard determines that the vessel’s operating schedule makes this criteria inappropriate, in no case will this period be less than four hours. When computing service required for MODU endorsements, a day is a minimum of four hours, and no additional credit is received for periods served over eight hours.

Does not say underway?[/QUOTE]

So I can upgrade to Unlimited Master without ever leaving the dock? Sweet!

I agree sounds crazy but if you stand the watch on the right tonnage… do you get the sea time?

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;93150]So I can upgrade to Unlimited Master without ever leaving the dock? Sweet![/QUOTE]

No cuz ya have to be underway to get some of the assesment sheets signed off.