Uscg - dod - dhs

I always wonder why you change course at constant speed to avoid ice in a fairway. Isn’t it better to slow down? Anyway, the result of not slowing down but changing course and not changing course back was a grounding and oil spill.
Shit happens.
More shit happened afterwards when USCG, now DHS, announced that the oil spill would not have occurred if the tanker was double hull. So immediately US law OPA 90 was decided. All tankers in US waters had to be double hull. The rest of the world suggested that IMO should assist and IMO/Marpol adopted a rule 1991 about double hull and better designs. US at IMO/Marpol agreed but 1997 IMO approved a better design and US announced next day that tankers of that innovative design could not enter US ports. The matter was later discussed in the US Congress and I was invited to testify! And the US Congress decided that better tankers than double hull like mine could not enter US ports. I can tell you more about it, if your are interested. I cannot do in the US though, so I do it here. US arrests people and sends them to Gitmo for torture, if they don’t agree with US policies. Strange democracy.