Uscg - dod - dhs

I always wonder why you change course at constant speed to avoid ice in a fairway. Isn’t it better to slow down? Anyway, the result of not slowing down but changing course and not changing course back was a grounding and oil spill.
Shit happens.
More shit happened afterwards when USCG, now DHS, announced that the oil spill would not have occurred if the tanker was double hull. So immediately US law OPA 90 was decided. All tankers in US waters had to be double hull. The rest of the world suggested that IMO should assist and IMO/Marpol adopted a rule 1991 about double hull and better designs. US at IMO/Marpol agreed but 1997 IMO approved a better design and US announced next day that tankers of that innovative design could not enter US ports. The matter was later discussed in the US Congress and I was invited to testify! And the US Congress decided that better tankers than double hull like mine could not enter US ports. I can tell you more about it, if your are interested. I cannot do in the US though, so I do it here. US arrests people and sends them to Gitmo for torture, if they don’t agree with US policies. Strange democracy.

I was mildly interested in what you wrote until this little closer of yours…

7 Likes

I was mildly interested also until he wrote that the USCG is now DHS.

3 Likes

Yes, in the old times USCG worked with me to improve safety at sea and the protection of the marine environment. But one day USCG was part of DHS and I was considered a terrorist or similar. My tanker design for better safety at and protection of the seas was considered a threat to the securitty of the USA.

But it’s true. No longer part of Treasury. But it can be moved to Navy…

The United States Coast Guard ( USCG ) is the coastal defense and maritime law enforcement branch of the United States Armed Forces[6] and one of the country’s seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the U.S. Department of the Navy by the U.S. President at any time, or by the U.S. Congress during times of war. This has happened twice: in 1917, during World War I, and in 1941, during World War II.[7][8]

It hasn’t been part of Dept. of Treasury since 1967. It was under Transportation before DHS was stood up.

When US Coast and Geodetic Survey charts were seventy five cents…

Guess that dates me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is incorrect. I entered the US Customs Academy at the FLETC in Glynco, GA in October 2003 while DHS was being created and graduated as a US Customs Inspector under the Department of Treasury. The course was extended to include immigration law as the two agencies were merged under the DHS unbrella as Customs and Border Protection.
While I was at the academy, there was a lot of infighting and bickering between the 2 agencies. It got pretty silly and even the FBI got involved. They got their back up when one of the names proposed for the new agency was put forward as The Bureau of Customs and Immigration. They didn’t want anyone else using the name Bureau.
It was resolved before I graduated in February 2004 and a short time later, we were issued new badges and credentials and became CBP Officers under DHS.

He was talking about USCG not CBP I’m pretty sure. And yeah, Coast Guard was DoT until DHS came along.

1 Like

I see what you mean. I guess I reacted to the constant confusion I see including even the media falsely perpetuating that CBP stands for Customs and Border Patrol. The Border Patrol being a separate entity under the CBP umbrella.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Modern Tanker Design - Double Hull etc

It is correct. I started at the USCG in 1998, it was part of DOT.

Yes, you’re right. I somehow I misread the post associating it with CBP. My third glass of wine during dinner affected my reading comprehension. It’s a good thing Bligh reef is far far away.

Stop feeding the troll.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Same as my initial reaction…

Maybe one of those hooded detainees was guilty of recommending changes to the Jones Act? Or the prisoners abused at Abu Ghraib were forced into all sorts of humiliating poses for having the audacity to speak out in support of his post-Valdez tanker designs?

2 Likes

Did you really just post this … you gotta go !
Off to Gitmo :man_facepalming: