US Navy Hospital Ship XO Removed For Sexual Assault

Agree. Can you post a link to the story where someone has been convicted of these crimes as I would like to read it over prior to commenting.

I’m still waiting for someone to suggest a title that fits the length requirements which the average US Navy officer (remember the majority are not even SWOs) and policy wonks would understand.

Sure, right after I give you definite proof that alien life doesn’t exist anywhere in the universe.

This is the US Merchant Marine. Nobody has ever been convicted of rape at sea. Nobody. Ever.

(Senior/First) Officer of US Navy Hospital Ship Removed for Accusation of Sexual Assault
Sexual Assault Accusation Results in Removal of US Navy Hospital Ship (Senior/First) Officer
Navy Removes (Senior/First) Officer of Hospital Ship due to Sexual Assault Accusation

I’m not sure you would not pass a community college journalism 101 course with those awful titles.

Don’t quit your day job.

Welcome to the CavasShips Podcast with Christopher P. Cavas and Chris Servello…a weekly podcast looking at naval and maritime events and issues of the day – in the US, across the seas and around the world.

You’re over here clutching at sexual assault pearls while you’re touting being on a podcast with Bad Santa? Holy optics Batman!

Ok, ok…this is your exact title except the false information has been replaced with non-false information:

US Navy Hospital Ship (Senior/First) Officer Removed for Sexual Assault

As far as (Senior/First), that’s your choice as what you feel would be best understood by ‘wonks’. I assumed that was understood, but maybe not.

In reality, even that is not completely true…he was relieved due to a sexual assault ACCUSATION, but that distinction doesn’t seem important anymore.

Not for nuthin’, but I’m pretty sure this type of wording might be covered in the community college Journalism 101 class as well…

1 Like

I didn’t know that.

Guess I’ll have to dust out the Navy Admirals congressional testimony playbook and say “let me look into this and get back to you sometime (never)”

I asked a question in response to your statement. It’s not my fault you’re spoiling for a fight and inferred tone, especially since I followed it up with an actionable item that you could push for. MSC does get medals, MSC-specific medals as a matter of fact. I can’t speak to how often they are awarded, but the mechanisms of recognition and appreciation exist. That has nothing to do with the working conditions red herring you retorted with. ALL Navy working conditions suck! Have you seen the latest recruiting numbers? So own your statement and tell me what sort of recognition and appreciation you’re (since you’ve taken it upon yourself to on behalf of these mariners) looking for.

You don’t owe me an answer, but just bear it in mind while you’re deflecting legitimate criticism because of your “won’t somebody please think of the victims” shtick.

Really?? Please show me these MSC medals. I don’t doubt that they exist but I have never, ever, heard of them.

I said the MSC Chief Mates deserve recognition. Am I a MSC Chief Mate? No.

Don’t ask me, go ask them if they feel appreciated?

Deflecting criticism over what? My title? How am I deflecting?

By saying we should be more concerned about women being raped?

I :100: own my title. I even put my name right under it. You can accuse me of being wrong but not deflecting. Deflecting would be deleting this entire thread.

Sigh…
There’s an old joke, about a farmer in a field hitting a donkey over the head with a 2X4, a person asks the farmer why he is doing this, the farmer replies, that he needs the donkey to go into the barn, so the bystander asks, so why hit it over the head?
The farmer replies, first I have to get it’s attention.

Yes John’s headline is a bit like that, he needed to get the attention of people outside of our industry, people who have no idea how dependent on us they are.

Perhaps you don’t like the way John goes about this, but right now he is the only one speaking on behalf of our industry, and for those complaining, what have you done?

2 Likes

Thank you David.

What @Alan_Newport and the rest fail to acknowledge is there is A NAVAL/LITTORAL war being waged RIGHT NOW in the Black Sea.

And things are getting hairy in the South China Sea.

I do apologize for being an ahole towards the Navy buy I’m tired of saying I told you so. It’s been 15 years writing about basic systemic problems and almost 10 years since Forbes canceled its contract with gCaptain for being too harsh on the Navy and out lack of support for South China Sea.

Now we face a global famine that can only be solved with merchant ships but the vast majority of US Navy officers still don’t know what a Chief Mate is. Top think thanks and Pentagon planning officers say China can’t invade Tawain because they don’t have enough Amphibious landing ships yet they have no idea the advancements made in offshore and undersea construction. China has militarized hundreds of thousands of Merchant sailors but we can’t even give basic convoy and communication training to our captains. What happens when PLAN issues each of it’s 4,500+ Merchant ships javelin and stinger missiles?

And @Alan_Newport wants to get on my case for being “radioactive in naval circles due to his combative nature”.

There is a war going on Alan, Merchant ships manned by nato member countries are getting attacked in nato member territorial waters. Mines are floating in the Black Sea and The Economist printed 48 skulls on its cover in a story about the lack of protection for grain ships.

Yes, I am toxic in Navy circles Alan but my only regret is not being more toxic towards the admiralty. If I had a redo I’d moving down to Washington 5 years ago so I could yell bloody murder every single day outside the Pentagon.

The future is looking grim and it’s not just me that’s angry at the Navy anymore, the geopolitical book NYTimes bestselling list RIGHT NOW is all about how you guys - and your political BS niceness - let the global order of peace and order slip away ushering in dark times to come: The End Of The World Is Just Beginning For Shipping

You made good points back in 2017 Alan - and I continue to appreciate your insight here - but at some point you must realize that you have been wrong all along and the Navy’s insularity and arrogance is, right NOW, literally threatening the lives of millions of hungry people and is threatening the future of our nation in the quickly approaching future.

2 Likes

I forget if it was you or Professor Mercogliano, who an editorial, titled, What If They Have War, and the Merchnat Marine Doesn’t Come.
I linked this piece on an FB page for U.S. Navy veterans, the comments made it clear, none of them had any real idea what the merchant marine is, let alone how important it is to the military, most seemed to think the merchant marine was a branch of the military like the USCG, others though that MSC was the entire merchant marine, they all thought that the military transported its own cargo, there was even one person who insisted that the Jones Act made it illegal for the U.S. have a merchant marine.

Yes we at war, and it will get worse, and the coming combat will be mostly maritime in nature, and some of us will die needlessly, because the U.S. public is so uninformed.

Of course, the fact that the U.S. economy is entirely dependent of foreign flag ships is a national security issue by itself, especially when China is taking over world shipping.

There are solutions, but without the public pushing D.C. to act, they likely won’t happen.

2 Likes

That was Dr. Sal, he won the CNO award for it and still the CNO did nothing.

1 Like

Meh. Melogy claims he’s suing everybody over everything, but he doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere. If this becomes “high profile” I don’t think an Instagram page will be to thank.

1 Like

I’ve been wrong all along? Oh man, there goes my next stripe. Of course it’d be helpful where you pointed that out, because I don’t think I was saying anything about foreign policy here, or even the Navy’s relationship with the Merchant Marine beyond getting titles right. You know, because that’s what this thread was about? See what I was saying about deflection?

Oh, and please don’t become a Pentagon heckler, they’re so annoying! But if you do, let me know and I’ll bring some coffee.

1 Like

I was thinking more as an extension of the midshipman X story which started by her posting her story on his site.

Think CNN (who had the midshipman X story on their site) saying, hmm this is the same source as that other SASH story, let’s go with it.

Time will tell.

2 Likes