US Judge Awards MARPOL Whistleblower $462,500

Judge awards 3rd Engineer Substantial Reward ; More May Follow
http://www.reidlawus.com/blog/2012/04/17/us-judge-awards-marpol-whistleblower-462500/

Never knew blowing a whistle was so well paid. Looks like there could be a shortage of referees next season.

I was told by a knowledgable source, someone who used to work in the EPA and is now an environmental consultant, that whistleblowers actually receive a percentage of whatever fines are handed out.

the pollution continued for 8 months – including during transits to 16 different port calls- until the vessel reached the U.S. when the 3rd Engineer finally came forward.

If the third engineer observes another crew member breaking the law he has an obligation to report this to the captain. If the captain fail to take the appropriate action then he should notify the DPA (designated person ashore). Paying crewmembers a half a million dollars to NOT follow the chain of command aboard ship can only undermine trust among crew on all ships. Will increasing distrust, turning crew against crew cause ship operations to improve. I think it will have the opposite effect. It will make life aboard ship more unpleasant and drive away qualified people.

K.C.

[QUOTE=K.S.;67743]I was told by a knowledgable source, someone who used to work in the EPA and is now an environmental consultant, that whistleblowers actually receive a percentage of whatever fines are handed out.[/QUOTE]

I have heard this as well. Why people still pollute the waters is beyond me. Half of these whisltblowers get more than a years salary just for calling it in.