US Army Corps of Engineers Hopper Dredge Experience

To my knowledge, there is zero difference between boats, they even share the same crew change dates for some reason.

There must be because according to USA Jobs the Wheeler works 14 days on / 14 days off and theyā€™re 12 hour days. (Not 8 days on / 6 days off and 10 hour days.)

WHEELER is not a West Coast dredge.
Only two USACE dredges on the West Coast, ESSAYONS and YAQUINA.

What is your obsession with West coast dredges? Iā€™ve said multiple times Iā€™m not talking about West coast dredges, Iā€™m asking questions about the USACE pay. You then said thereā€™sā€‹ zero difference between USACE boats, which is obviously not true.

THAT is the question which started this thread to which I responded, if you go off on some tangent, thatā€™s on you.

I was being a good forum member and not making a new thread when there was already a related thread going.

No it is not.

Capt_PhoenixTop ContributerApr 27
Iā€™m asking how the Army Corp calculates their pay. Is it really that different from boat to boat?

It is with locality pay. West coast hopper dredge pay scale is higher than Atlantic and Gulf coast pay scale

But it is the biggest and has 3 dragarms. I should make MORE than West Coast Mudsuckers!:rofl:

1 Like

I saw you sailed on the Essayons, is that the new one or the old one? I grew up on the older one in 70-80ā€™s and then the Goethals and the Fry. I have a lot of awesome memories on the Hudson River and making some fantastic friendships. My dads ashes were spread off the Wheeler (the last ship he sailed on) when she was docked in New Orleans.
v/r
Spencer Emanuels
spencer.emanuels@va.gov

Hey Spencer,

Iā€™m on the ā€œnewā€ ESSAYONSā€¦not so new any more, butā€¦

Iā€™ve been onboard just over 2 years, Iā€™m a deckhand. We have a couple people onboard who came from the WHEELER.

We have spread some ashes ourselves latelyā€¦everyone getting old.

1 Like

Is Capt Morehead still on board the Wheeler? If he is, please give him my best, I wish I followed my dads footstepsā€¦I just love the Army Corp ships.

Yes he is, spenceremanuels! Itā€™s Morehouse though. I knew your dad well as I have been on the Wheeler for 34 years! Chief Stanley always talked of his family and that is how I will always remember him. A true ā€œFamily Manā€ he had pictures of you guys all over his stateroom! Nicest guy to sail with. I am Chief Mate on there now. Come visit if in the New Orleans area!

Joe Mitchell

3 Likes

I would love to see you guys again, thank you. The Army Corp was such a big part of my childhood. Please give everyone our love, hope to see you soon,

Spencer

Where would you recommend for travel/ adventure?

Dude, quit replying to super old threads. If you have a question that you donā€™t see answered already after searching the old posts just ask it in a new thread.

1 Like

Not much travel/adventure with the COE. The answer is subjective and heavily dependent on your personal preferences. It might take a few hours to figure out. If youā€™re in the area, we can sit out on the deck and discuss it over a bottle of scotch, your treat. Iā€™m partial to 16 year old highland single malt double cask matured Aberlour. :wink:

2 Likes

Gotcha sorry about that