Urgent Help Needed: Testing Off-Course Alarm on Gyro-compass TG-8000/8500

Hello fellow maritime professionals,

I hope this message finds you all well. I am currently facing a pressing issue and would greatly appreciate your guidance and expertise.

I am responsible for testing the “off-course alarm” on a Gyro-compass TG-8000/8500, and I’m seeking advice on the proper procedure. It’s critical to ensure the safety and accuracy of our navigation system, and I want to make sure I’m conducting the test correctly.

If anyone has experience with this specific system or has knowledge about testing off-course alarms on gyro-compasses in general, I would be immensely grateful for your insights. Any step-by-step instructions, tips, or best practices you can share would be invaluable to me.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Markus
Sweden

When at anchor or moored, switch to autopilot and set the course more than 20 degrees from current heading. This will result in a “pilot watch” alarm or similar on the autopilot, probably also a “low speed caution” alarm. The HDM/OCA-110 will sound the off-course alarm after a few minutes delay, displaying “o. ERR”

You can also test the HDM alarm on the HDM/OCA-110 by setting the magnetic variation to manual and then deliberately adjusting variation to a value some 20 degrees off the actual variation. Do make sure to set it back to automatic/GPS after testing!