Upgrade to deck license Chief Mate AGT

quote=“Quimby, post:18, topic:47221, full:true”]

Right makes sense. Do you still have to take the operational level classes in addition to the management level ones (for 3/2M)? Basic shiphandling would still be a pre-req for advanced, etc.

As of January 1, 2017, in order to get an STCW endorsement for Chief Mate or Master, you must have previously held an STCW certificate for OICNW (issued after 2/1/2002), or concurrently qualify for OICNW. So if you never held an STCW endorsement for OICNW, you would need the courses for both endorsements.
The Coast Guard is probably not going to take issue with the order courses were taken, although students with no prior shiphandling training and experience passing an advanced course might be flagged as something to look at the next time that schools gets audited.

Courses cannot be used to substitute for sea time for STCW endorsements, in STCW-speak that’s known as an “equivalency” and is generally not permitted. That generally means they can’t be used for the national endorsement (license) also. But there are some exceptions where an upgrade of a national endorsement doesn’t involve STCW (e.g. 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate, or Mate 500/1600 to 3rd Mate).

1 Like

He was talking about the school’s prerequisites for the advanced ship handling course, wish has nothing to do with the NMC.

Wow. Don’t I feel like an idiot.

I think this might be an okay thread for this question… Looking at the checklists it looks like each license (CM/2M/3M/AB) requires that your sea time be earned while you were holding the previous license (to get 3M must have completed X days while HOLDING an AB, &c.). After doing the math it looks like my sea time as a BM, Chief BM and Deck LDO / OOD total around 2400 days (most of that w/in the last 7 years). My goal is to get the license that the time equates to. My concern is to not sell myself short. The question is can I apply directly for a 3M or higher with the time I have completed? Thanks in advance.

Not sure how it works now, but back in the late 1980’s I got a Transcript of Sea Service from the USN. I then applied to the USCG and on the application I had to break down each period of sea service on the transcript to state specifically what my duties were, what roles I had, what watches I stood, etc. The REC in Baltimore evaluated all of that, asked some questions for clarification, and then told me what I could sit for.

As a “mustang”, I needed three years (1080 days) to sit for 3rd Mate, then an additional 360 days for each upgrade. I was able to sit for an original license at the highest level that my evaluated sea time merited.

Again, not sure how it works now, and best wishes to you. Thank you for your service.

See 46 CFR 10.232(d)(1):
Military sea service “will be evaluated by the Coast Guard for a determination of its equivalence to sea service acquired on merchant vessels and the appropriate grade, class, and limit of endorsement for which the applicant is eligible.” That means military time is accepted based on the merchant service it is equivalent to, and it would not be necessary to have held the merchant mariner endorsement. For example, if your service is fond to be equivalent to 3rd Mate, you can use it to qulaify for 2nd Mate even if you didnt hold a 3rd Mate license. Thjis is how ex-military are able tot original licenses for higher than 3rd Mate.

1 Like

Thank you for yours. What type of ships did you work on after getting your license? I am thinking to just submit the transcript and apply for the MMC and then go from there.


Thanks to your previous posts I looked at the CFRs, 10.232 specifically. However, when I read: “under the supervision of an officer holding the STCW endorsement as master, chief mate, second mate, or OICNW, for a period of not less than 180 days.” on the OICNW check-list, I took that as applying to all other endorsements. Thank you for clearing up the difference between what I was reading there and what the checklist says.