Upgrade from 3rd mate AGT to 2nd mate AGT/1600 Master

Does anyone know the run around for upgrading from 3rd mate AGT to 2nd mate AGT/1600 master? I currently work on an atb where the tug is 997 GRT and the barge is 27,615 GRT. I have heard that it is possible for 2nd mate but probably not anything more.

I believe you can but it will be a limited 2nd mate license.

I’ve been out of circulation for a while but I’ve seen several mates upgrade to 2nd unlimited on the ATBs. I know of one that made it to CM.

I don’t think it is supposed to count, though that doesn’t mean people haven’t done it. Were these mates upgrading through the old system with the RECs our through the NMC?

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;55660]I don’t think it is supposed to count, though that doesn’t mean people haven’t done it. Were these mates upgrading through the old system with the RECs our through the NMC?[/QUOTE]
I guess you’d call it the new system. They only had to test once and upgrade to 2nd after a year’s seatime. I believe the “turd in the punch bowl” is going from CM to master. You have to sail on vessels with CM on the COI. There are many here to correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t think the barge tonnage is supposed to count so they should only get credit for the 900 grt tug. Since it is over 200 grt it can count toward unlimited but it would be a limited unlimited.

The tonnage of the barge should not count. You can’t get the tonnage if the license is not required. If that was the case the Captain would be required to hold a Master Unlimited. At least that’s what the USCG told me!