Unmanned ships (again)

It is coming, but when?:

It will probably take longer to change International Maritime Laws to allow it to happen than to prove up technical solutions to make it possible on a large scale.

For one thing the interpretation of this part of the ColRegs will have to change:
Rule 5 requires that "every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

I’m sure they will change the whole COLREGS and then eventually 33 CFR 83. I wasn’t alive for the change from '60 COLREGS to '72 COLREGS, but it seems like it was a pretty substantial change happened there, and I’m not sure why it wouldn’t happen again as technology progresses.

I’d imagine IMO’s MASS committee probably has a COLREGS rewrite in the drafts somewhere. While we’re at it I’d like to see that correct AIS Nav Status be codified in the rules, and it wouldn’t surprise me if “in sight of one another” expanded to electronically detected by radar or AIS in some form.

The answer is; SOON:

Ocean Infinity’s “Armada” USVs are bigger but will act as motherships for smaller survey drones
3 of them have already been completed at VARD Vung Tau in Vietname and are now under final outfitting, testing and commissioning at VARD Søviknes in Norway:

PS> They are all still there: MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

On a different scale, but with large ambitions:

I may be wrong of course but may be it would be a good idea to have one thread only and linked maybe with autonomous ships/legal aspects. Just saying.

I don’t understand how Ocean Infinity make money, they hired lots of people on good wages but their boats don’t seem to do much paid work, I don’t even understand what kind of jobs their boats do

Technology transfer from offshore to ferries:

Soon to be in operation:

Another incredible day, with 3 milestones achieved in VARD Vung Tau:
:white_check_mark: The delivery of the “before last” vessel ARMADA 78 07
:white_check_mark: The beginning of Sea trials of ARMADA 78 08
These events are closing an epic busy year for VARD team in Vietnam to provide best support to Ocean Infinity.

A lot of USVs coming out of Turkey

BBC program about Autonomous ships