Unions?

I am trying to get input on unions, does anyone have anything to say good or bad in regards to the different unions? Are there any out there that still work for the working man and not for the companies?

Are you asking specifically about maritime unions? You don’t say but I assume you are and if so, I am also assumng that you would be interested in entry level positions in a union. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Yes, I am talking about maritime unions and not necessarily about entry positions but just info on the different unions in general. Really want to know people’s experience with each and every so I can get a feel for what is out there to choose from

[QUOTE=Towboy;52159]I am trying to get input on unions, does anyone have anything to say good or bad in regards to the different unions? Are there any out there that still work for the working man and not for the companies?[/QUOTE]

Do a little searching through the threads and you will find a ton of opinions on both sides.

Based on your closing “question” it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Your not answering c.captain’s question about what level (licensed or unlicensed) makes your post look a bit more like a troll than anything else. Do your research, be more specific about your own position and you might get some help, if that is what you are really looking for.

Need to be more specific. If you have a license, then you are not going to join and unlicensed union. And if you dont have a license then you are not going to join a licensed union. So to ask about unions in general and only having one post does make you look like you are trolling, or trying to get an argument started.

This topic has been covered ad nauseum. Use search, then post relevant questions.

Not trying to get an argument started, the company I work for is possibly going to go union or so is the rumor. Everything I have heard so far has not been very positive and I am just trying to get a feel for the unions out there and peoples dealings so I can get a better feel for the different ones and which are “good” and which are “bad”. I only have the one post because I have always come on here as a guest and read posts but this is the first issue that I am trying to get input on and if i figured I could get raw input here. If I research the unions themselves of course they are going to make themselves sound good but are they? I have never been part and am not sure whether I want to or not. I have heard some about 333, SIU, IBU, and AMO. I will try and do some searching amongst past posts and ask more specific questions as they arise. Thank you all on your input.

[QUOTE=Towboy;52190]Not trying to get an argument started, the company I work for is possibly going to go union or so is the rumor. Everything I have heard so far has not been very positive and I am just trying to get a feel for the unions out there and peoples dealings so I can get a better feel for the different ones and which are “good” and which are “bad”. I only have the one post because I have always come on here as a guest and read posts but this is the first issue that I am trying to get input on and if i figured I could get raw input here. If I research the unions themselves of course they are going to make themselves sound good but are they? I have never been part and am not sure whether I want to or not. I have heard some about 333, SIU, IBU, and AMO. I will try and do some searching amongst past posts and ask more specific questions as they arise. Thank you all on your input.[/QUOTE]

The company will only go union if the employees vote to do so. Whichever union is trying to organize will come in and try to sell themselves. Then you’ll know who it is and you can ask all the right questions of them at that time. Let us know when you learn which union. At this point you’re just hearing rumors, is what I take from your comments. Rumors are just rumors. Nothing happened if it isn’t in writing, ya know?

[QUOTE=Towboy;52190]Not trying to get an argument started, the company I work for is possibly going to go union or so is the rumor. Everything I have heard so far has not been very positive and I am just trying to get a feel for the unions out there and peoples dealings so I can get a better feel for the different ones and which are “good” and which are “bad”. I only have the one post because I have always come on here as a guest and read posts but this is the first issue that I am trying to get input on and if i figured I could get raw input here. If I research the unions themselves of course they are going to make themselves sound good but are they? I have never been part and am not sure whether I want to or not. I have heard some about 333, SIU, IBU, and AMO. I will try and do some searching amongst past posts and ask more specific questions as they arise. Thank you all on your input.[/QUOTE]

I understand. Glad you came back and explained a little better. Like doug said the employess have to agree and sign pledge cards before a union can take over. Find out who and then come back and ask. There are people from all those unions here

How is SIU? From what I hear it sounds like the company might be bringing it to us? Is that normal?from what I gather employees are supposed to vote a union in not the other way around. Has anyone heard of this happening?

The only way I know this may happen is if a company and a union agree to a contract. Current employees may keep their job by either joining that union, not joining but pay a fee to the union, or find a new job.

I’m thinking back to the days when NMU would loose contracts to SIU. No real choice for the mariners: stay with a good but dying union or cozy up to the 800 pound gorilla that cheap-bids contracts and signs away members’ rights in mysterious deals (e.g. Buddy Policy).

(This looked fine at first but once the true details were fleshed out the results were utterly disgusting. SIU gave the USN the right to restrict liberty outside the United States at any time for any reason, a right the USN exercises at all times, in dangerous countries such as Spain, Italy, Panama, Curacao and USA.

This is achieved by USN placing MSC ships in all ports outside the continental United States into FP Bravo. My ship was put into FP Bravo in the dangerous port of Key West, Florida! The base was in Alpha, only our ship was in Bravo.)

AMO is okay. It’s really all about your circumstances & intentions. For me- I feel that my ‘fortune meter’ is indicating I’m in the ‘above average’ zone. And regarding AMO- I feel that the union makes it more convenient than doing it on my own. Not all jobs- particularly AMO jobs- are created equal- so proceed cautiously.

[QUOTE=Towboy;52286]How is SIU? From what I hear it sounds like the company might be bringing it to us? Is that normal?from what I gather employees are supposed to vote a union in not the other way around. Has anyone heard of this happening?[/QUOTE]
Sea-going and inland tugs, ATBs and dredges come under SIU Inland. There are different levels of medical coverage and pension contributions depending on contract negotiation. There is also a 401K and Money Purchase Plan. The medical is not as good as in the past but better than most. Medical and pension contributions are made by the company. Dues are less than most non-union companies charge for medical insurance. Pension is wage related. Paid transportation to and from Piney point for all upgrades and required courses. Room and board are free, Your spouse and kids can stay for just a few dollars a day.

I worked for 2 SIU contracted companies for 24 years. We negotiated very good contracts with good pay, top tier insurance and 2 for 1 pension contributions. I retired at 56. My medical insurance premium is $100 a month.

Were all the crew members happy with the contracts??? Of course not…

Thanks for the input!