Union or Non Union

Being originated from foreign shipping, I wondered why U.S. ship’s crew need Unions who only seem to focus on your hard earned money. Considering the hard way the ship’s crew must endure to land a job through the Union.

I just became AMO applicant looking for a job… Looked into the website…amazing…fees, donations and so many conditions which may require lawyers to elaborate.

Simply curious why we need the Unions at all…Que bono?

Despite that post having all the signs of a poorly written troll, I will respond to what many who know nothing about the history of American maritime unions, their members, and American shipowners know nothing about.

Aside from AMO, which I personally do not consider a union, American maritime unions provide many benefits to their members. Like many others in the industry I believe AMO is an employment agency which operates as an arm of the American political campaign funding process. I suggest you read the current AMO thread before lumping the real unions with this corrupt organization.

If foreign shipping offered you so many personal and professional benefits why are you paying all those amazing fees and donations to a bunch like AMO? Have you investigated the contracts and benefits offered to the members of MMP, MEBA, SUP, MFOW, or even SIU? You question is a good indication that you know nothing about American maritime unions. Come back and complain after you do some of your own research.

If you have to ask why we need unions at all, I wonder if you have ever worked at sea for anyone.

[QUOTE=Steamer;39257]Despite that post having all the signs of a poorly written troll, I will respond to what many who know nothing about the history of American maritime unions, their members, and American shipowners know nothing about.

Aside from AMO, which I personally do not consider a union, American maritime unions provide many benefits to their members. Like many others in the industry I believe AMO is an employment agency which operates as an arm of the American political campaign funding process. I suggest you read the current AMO thread before lumping the real unions with this corrupt organization.

If foreign shipping offered you so many personal and professional benefits why are you paying all those amazing fees and donations to a bunch like AMO? Have you investigated the contracts and benefits offered to the members of MMP, MEBA, SUP, MFOW, or even SIU? You question is a good indication that you know nothing about American maritime unions. Come back and complain after you do some of your own research.

If you have to ask why we need unions at all, I wonder if you have ever worked at sea for anyone.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, It’s the learning curve…