Ukraine split

Ukraine seems to be a faltering country, in debt, struggling financially, energy dependent on Russia and in the midst of a revolution. Much of the country wants to be absorbed into the European Union, while some on the East believe becoming part of Russia again is the best idea.

If we look at what Putin is doing right now, there seems to be some very concerning similarities to what Hitler did in the 1930’s.
He first he annexed Austria, over the same conception that they were part of Germany (or wanted to be). He then annexed parts of Sudetenland on the same basis, while the west shook their finger. Then (after promising at the conference of Munich that Sudetenland was his final territorial ambition) he demanded the Danzig Corridor from Poland.

Well, we all know what followed after that…

This guy is a nut, and hopefully it will stop at the Crimea. Who knows, maybe Ukraine would be better off being absorbed into Russia, but that’s not for Putin to decide.

Russia has already shown they are willing to go to blows for land. Look at what they did with Georgia in 2008. Georgia lost 171 soldiers and control over Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

It also looks like they are demanding the Ukrainian Fleet

Ukrainian officials charged that Vice Admiral Aleksandr Vitko, commander of Russia’s Black Sea fleet, went aboard one of the blockaded Ukrainian ships and ordered the crew to “swear allegiance to the new Crimean authorities, or surrender, or face an attack.”

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/03/03/russian-admiral-orders-ukraine-ships-to-surrender.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1

Vladimir Putin is nothing more than a FUCKING MAFIOSI THUG!

AN EMMEFFING ASSHOLE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!

Didn’t Hitler host the worlds Olympic games just before he began his European conquest?

Troubling similarity.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;132183]Didn’t Hitler host the worlds Olympic games just before he began his European conquest?

Troubling similarity.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Very true. Hitler marched into Austria to annex it just two years after hosting the Olympics. Maybe he just wants to be Hitler?

Everybody all signed up for the Mariner Outreach System? We’re all going over there anyway, it might just as well be as honest merchant mariners rather than cannon fodder!

Here we go boys!

Let’s do it!

//youtu.be/DO_drlO5vSU

Europe imports 40% of their energy from Russia. I doubt this goes much farther than where it’s stands now.

[QUOTE=lm1883;132192]Europe imports 40% of their energy from Russia. I doubt this goes much farther than where it’s stands now.[/QUOTE]

They said similar things about the Rhineland. It could never happen! There’s no such thing as a land war in Europe, not after the advent of mustard gas, not after the advent of nuclear weapons. War? What is that?

The last landwar they had in Europe left USA with some pretty great manufacturing exports. Revitalized the merchant marine too…just saying.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;132195]The last landwar they had in Europe left USA with some pretty great manufacturing exports. Revitalized the merchant marine too…just saying.[/QUOTE]

That little event in history did some pretty great stuff for a lot of people. The only trouble is it cost us 550,000 gallons of blood. (1.375g/person @ 400,000 dead)

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;132197]That little event in history did some pretty great stuff for a lot of people. The only trouble is it cost us 550,000 gallons of blood. (1.375g/person @ 400,000 dead)[/QUOTE]

Not to mention 82,500,000 additional gallons throughout the world.

I bet this will end like the Russo-Georgian war. Russia will take Crimea, and Ukraine will concede. Lets hope they don’t fight back.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;132197]That little event in history did some pretty great stuff for a lot of people. The only trouble is it cost us 550,000 gallons of blood. (1.375g/person @ 400,000 dead)[/QUOTE]

and something like 50+million other human beings before it was all over…

as much as I honor the valiant deeds of those who fought in the great WWII and those who built the Arsenal of Democracy, I do not want it to be repeated. Some things as best left only to history.

According to news, Angela Merkel suspected that Putin might no longer be playing with a full deck anymore. That’s kind of scary.

It’s quite sad that those who are pro-war are always the ones who are not serving in the front lines and/or who have only experienced war through TV, movies and computer games. Sure, it’s okay to be proud of things like this afterwards, but it probably sucked for everyone back then.

[QUOTE=Tups;132207]According to news, Angela Merkel suspected that Putin might no longer be playing with a full deck anymore. That’s kind of scary.[/QUOTE]

The man is an utter megalomaniac in every sense of the word…he is MAD for POWER!

[QUOTE=Tups;132207]According to news, Angela Merkel suspected that Putin might no longer be playing with a full deck anymore. That’s kind of scary.

It’s quite sad that those who are pro-war are always the ones who are not serving in the front lines and/or who have only experienced war through TV, movies and computer games. Sure, it’s okay to be proud of things like this afterwards, but it probably sucked for everyone back then.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess I’m not going to war with the Fins any time soon… I had no idea it was so lopsided.

Just thought I’d mention since it wasn’t in my post, I definitely don’t want us involved unless we really had too. I think it’s gonna end like 2008 also. Crimea was never really part of Ukraine anyway.

Obama prepares to send 1 Billion in aid to Ukraine…

http://news.yahoo.com/us-prepares-1b-aid-package-troubled-ukraine-123023425–politics.html

On the same note, I’m a poor bastard in college. Can some of you rich people send me some aid? I know what y’all make.

Russia can not lose Crimea due to it’s strategic significance as Russia’s only naval base in the Med. Combine that with the fact there is a majority in that part of the Ukraine who consider themselves ethnic Russian and want to align themselves with the East as opposed to the West.

Probably the best case outcome would be to lease Crimea to Russia and allow western Ukraine to join the EU. Second best option would be to cede Crimea.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;132223]Obama prepares to send 1 Billion in aid to Ukraine…

On the same note, I’m a poor bastard in college. Can some of you rich people send me some aid?[/QUOTE]

Only KPers get to ride for free.

They are special you know.

Russians have the lease until 2042. The worry arises from the current government in Ukraine toying with the idea to cancel the lease.

On an unrelated note, Gazprom has informed Ukraine that it’s cut rate on NATGAS is over. Instead of 268 /1000 cubic meters, it will go to 400 / 1000 cubic meters. Sooooo, the aid package from the IMF (backstopped by the US, read you and I) will be considerably larger than the 35 billion asked for by their new government.

We will lend money to the Ukraine so they can buy gas from Russia and pay back loans to Russian banks.

Here is a pic that sums up the situation