U.S. Ready for South China Sea Confrontation

sure they are! guffaw! snort!

[B]U.S. Ready for South China Sea Confrontation[/B]

By MarEx 2016-12-14 00:42:55

The United States is ready to confront China should it continue its overreaching maritime claims in the South China Sea, the head of the U.S. Pacific fleet said on Wednesday, comments that threaten to escalate tensions between the two global rivals.

China claims most of the resource-rich South China Sea through which about $5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes every year. Neighbors Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims.

The United States has called on China to respect the findings of arbitration court in The Hague earlier this year which invalidated its vast territorial claims in the strategic waterway.

But Beijing continues to act in an ā€œaggressiveā€ manner, to which the United States stands ready to respond, Admiral Harry Harris, head of the U.S. Pacific Command, said in a speech at the Lowy Institute in Sydney.

ā€œWe will not allow a shared domain to be closed down unilaterally no matter how many bases are built on artificial features in the South China Sea,ā€ he said. ā€œWe will cooperate when we can but we will be ready to confront when we must.ā€

The comments threaten to stoke tensions between the United States and China, already heightened by President-elect Donald Trumpā€™s decision to accept a telephone call from Taiwanā€™s president on December 2 that prompted a diplomatic protest from Beijing.

Asked about Harrisā€™s remarks, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the situation in the South China Sea was currently stable, thanks to the hard work of China and others in the region.

ā€œWe hope the United States can abide by its promises on not taking sides on the sovereignty dispute in the South China Sea, respect the efforts of countries in the region to maintain peace and stability in the South China Sea region and do more to promote peace and stability there,ā€ he told a daily news briefing.

The United States estimates Beijing has added more than 3,200 acres (1,300 hectares) of land on seven features in the South China Sea over the past three years, building runways, ports, aircraft hangars and communications equipment.

In response, the United States has conducted a series of freedom-of-navigation operations in the South China Sea, the latest of which came in October.

The patrols have angered Beijing, with a senior Chinese official in July warning the practice may end in ā€œdisasterā€.

Harris said it was a decision for the Australian government whether the U.S. ally should undertake its own freedom-of-navigation operations, but said the United States would continue with the practice.

Harris said Australia could ā€œwalk and chew gumā€ at the same time and was not being asked to make a choice between the U.S. and China.

Australia has not yet flown or sailed within 12 nautical miles of Chinese-claimed islands in the South China Sea.

ā€œThe U.S. fought its first war following our independence to ensure freedom of navigation,ā€ said Harris. ā€œThis is an enduring principle and one of the reasons our forces stand ready to fight tonight.ā€

how much of US debt does China own today? it is $1.3 trillion in fact! how fast would the dollar plunge the moment they say their central bank is selling the bonds off cheap? if they told the world that their US dollar holdings would be drastically reduced? the value of the dollar would evaporate overnight! although Chinaā€™s economy would suffer if they did it would survive while ours would die very painfully. China already has won their war with us as has Russia and Saudi Arabia and on and onā€¦ We are gonners, it is only how fast will our demise be? That is why the DAUNTLESS is my escape module ready to flee when the sudden collapse unfolds (might well be much sooner than later once a certain loose cannon takes up residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washingtoon, District of Cowards)

Donā€™t give up the ship, sir.

China is already selling US Treasury Bonds to prop up the Yuan: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/15/china-cedes-top-us-creditor-crown-to-japan-as-yuan-struggles.html

What happened to the oft repeated statement that China is manipulating their currency to keep it low?
Oh, that is just another lie propagated by Trump.

Will they sell the US down the drain?? No not likely, unless they are provoked to do so by stupid US policy.

Economists say they expect China to continue to reduce its holdings of U.S. government debt, considered as the most liquid dollar assets, to help defend the yuan, but a big sell-off looks unlikely.

Reefs in the South China Sea, before and after: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...s-in-the-south

1 Like

If China sank the dollar they would be in trouble themselves. Who do you think buys most of their junk?

Asia answer for half of Chinaā€™s export trade, USA take 18.3%, while EU at 18.5% is slightly ahead: China's Top Trading Partners 2022 & 2023

So yes, if you count individual countries, US is the biggest market for Chinese goods, which is no longer only ā€œjunkā€ by the way: Chinaā€™s Top Exports 2022 & 2023

1 Like

Almost nothing of quality is produced in China.

1 Like

The fact is the Chinese will make what ever you want to whatever quality you want.

Most of the luxury branded goods are made there.

Realy? My Dell computer, wifeā€™s iPhone and Vizio tv all seem to work pretty well. The MacGregor hatch covers for the last newbuild project I was involved in were made in China. The last time I was in China I was picked up in a Buick and the taxis I usually used were VWā€™s. Both made in china.

Yes, cheap junk is made there but so are quality goods. The point is, you get what you pay for.

2 Likes

Next time you are near a Container Terminal anywhere, incl. in the US, have a look at those big shiny new Gantry Cranes and you will most likely find the letters ZMPC somewhere prominently displayed: https://www.porttechnology.org/news/port_of_virginia_bags_four_quay_cranes

The have several vessels,who deliver the cranes around the world.
BTW; Fully manned with Chinese seafarers.

Here is but one of them:

1 Like

Yes you do, in China like anywhere else.

If you build a ship, rig or anything of that nature, you also get only as good as your supervision.
If you leave ANY shipyard to ā€œjust get on with itā€, the quality of workmanship and even material will be mediocre at best.

I could name examples, both in China and elsewhere, but I will refrain from that for ā€œfearā€ of being deemed ā€œAnti-Americanā€.

Sorry, I was specifically thinking of consumer products sold in America. Some electrical items from China are of decent quality, rarely are clothing items from China of decent quality.

Donā€™t buy them then. BUY AMERICAN!!! and pay more for the quality.
(Or for the ā€œfeel-goodā€ patriotic experience??)

That you can put at the feet of the likes of Walmart. In the end you get what you pay for.

In the eighties I was in the Gulf of St Lawrence loading for Europe.

Wanted some thick ā€˜lumberjackā€™ style shirts as winter was closing in.

Got them at the local store - excellent quality, Canadian Brand - ā€˜Made in Chinaā€™

The Chinese have been decades in building to where they at now, it is only the scale of things and the range that has brought it to prominence.

I do buy quality made in: America, Canada, Latin America, Japan, and Europe. I very rarely set foot in Walmart or the other purveyors of Chinese crap that does not last more than a few minutes. The best long term value for the dollar is never the cheapest initial price.

How does this thing have proper line-of-sight for navigation from the bridge?

Sinking their number 1 market seems counter productive. An economic war would hurt them too.

Thatā€™s true.

Iā€™ve also heard stories from businessmen that tried producing stuff in China and no matter what they did they couldnā€™t get the quality they wanted so they moved production elsewhere. Now I canā€™t remember what type of product it wasā€¦

They were probably bargaining to get as cheap sh*t as possible and got it.
Try paying a fair price next time.

Good question. I have asked myself the same, but I have never had to approve a voyage on any of these vessels, so it has never been an issue for me personally.

I did have the same problem taking command of a Drillship with wheelhouse aft and not much visibility dead ahead. The arrangement was approved by flag state and class though.
My solution was to place a lookout on either bridge wing, day and night, 24/7 while under way.

There were a CCTV in the derrick that could be used to look ahead, but as far as Iā€™m concerned that is not an acceptable and legal solution, no matter how much the Toolpusher insisted that he needed the crews to work for him. No other Captain have ever insisted on this, apparently.

A few months later, the ship had a minor collision in the Singapore Strait and got a lot of the blame for that particular reason. No proper lookout and no clear visibility ahead.

Most other HLVs with aft superstructure and bridge have a fwrd. bridge, which is accessible via a tunnel from fore to aft as seen here: