TVMDC Investigation

Today, Chair of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) and Chair of the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.Congr) sent a letter to the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard Admiral Karl L. Schultz, calling for a formal review of USCG certified training materials after they learned of an offensive mnemonic device circulating in such material.

DeFazio and Maloney wrote: “Within the USCG accredited captain’s license course offered by ‘Mariners Learning System,’ students are encouraged to use the mnemonic device ‘true virgins make dull company—just add whiskey’ to remember how to calculate compass error. We are sure you will agree that the use of this crude phrase in certification materials approved by the Coast Guard is unacceptable.”

The letter continued: “It is vital that the agency overseeing the maritime industry set a tone of acceptance and inclusion for all of industry to emulate and foster a maritime culture free of discrimination, harassment, or violence based on race, gender or sexual identification.”

In their letter, DeFazio and Maloney requested a formal review of all certification materials used or approved by the USCG to identify and remove any use of this specific phrase or other lewd or inappropriate mnemonic devices, phrases, idioms or expressions. The Chairs requested the review be completed within 90 days and that a summary report and briefing be provided to the Committee.

Better not tell those guys about “Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections?” then, or those idiots will think it’s a republican conspiracy. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Seriously though, where the heck do these people pop out from? And how did we get to a point where something like this can be a serious threat?

8 Likes

You can’t make this stuff up! Don’t these guys have better things to do?

1 Like

Was thinking the same thing. Now I have to go cut my lawn. Ho Humm.

There are many better things they should be doing but they involve making decisions and require subject matter knowledge and experience. They are doing what they feel safe doing, cowering behind the wall of political correctness and tossing the occasional piece of paper over.

4 Likes

Shh, nobody tell them about how to remember resistor color coding.

5 Likes

The use of the mnemonic New Reels Catch Fish So Purchase Some has served me well but I realize now how traumatizing in must be to aquatic critters. This realization has triggered a feeling of guilt and shame I will never be able to shake off. DEFUND the Coast Guard!

3 Likes

Haven’t heard that term in many moons. Good one Lee_Shore. A smile on my memory.

I always said “add whiskey and she’s going down”.

Breaking News: Sharks are in full agreement with the ‘defund the CG’ movement after this latest outrage:

2 Likes

What an effing first chuckle of the day. I needed a laugh today. Mucho thx sir!

Good thing there weren’t any videos back when we surfaced in the Caribbean and threw old “horsecock” over the side to attract targets for a shark shoot.

As long as they don’t cut the fins off and sell them to Chinese restaurants it’s OK.

When I attended US Navy ET “A” school the mnemonic they taught us to remember the color code for resistors, and their tolerance, was one I won’t even repeat here.

Same for the mnemonics to remember the rules for motion in a motor or for antenna propagation.

Strange how they are still so easy to recall after 55 years though…

1 Like

I suppose we shouldn’t even mention radar tuning.
G-B-R-T

Once you learn them, you never forget them…

1 Like

Probably would have to attend SHARP just for knowing that one these days.

2 Likes

:wink:

When I taught at the community college they insisted on the sanitized version:
Truly Valiant Marines Don’t Cry At Weddings!

1 Like

So can we still use TransVestites Marry Drunk Captains Add Whiskey?

2 Likes

What’s wrong with Badly Burnt Resistors On Your Ground Bus Void General Warranty?

Ohh…you mean: Batman Blows Robin On Yon Gotham Bridge. “Very Good, Wayne!” Groans Sidekick.

1 Like

I’m assuming he probably meant: “Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.”