Tugboat operator sentenced to prison in fatal 'duck boat' crash

A man at the helm of a tug boat and barge that crashed into a sightseeing “duck boat” in the Delaware River in Pennsylvania last year - an incident that killed two tourists - has been sentenced to a year and a day in prison, federal prosecutors said Tuesday. Matthew R. Devlin, of Catskill, New York, was sentenced for misconduct of a ship operator causing death, according to a U.S. attorney’s office.
Two tourists from Hungary - one 16 years old, the other 20 - died when a 250-foot sludge barge towed by the tugboat overran a disabled 33-foot “Ride the Ducks” tour boat on the Delaware River in July 2010, plunging the amphibious vessel and its 35 passengers and two crew members underwater.

(This hits fairly close to home as Matt was my relief on more than one boat at KSEA)

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html

Sad situation all around.

Gentlemen (and ladies), be on your “A” game at all times…

I have come across actions and experiences that have brought into question the moral implications of said actions in my small career, it continues to baffle and astound me, the level of moral and ethical abuse some people will endeavour to sink to. Accidents happen, I work in SAR, shit does happen, BUT! It always amazes me when I see horrible un ethical practice thriving, I’ve been a victim of it and it sucks. Keep guard, keep watch and remember. It’s only you and your crew, watch your backs, go home to your family.