Tug training and TOAR assessments

[QUOTE=Cal;53121]Why not? Do they push barges out west? Do they take barges alongside out west? Do they tow barges out west? The concept is the same, the practical application is the same.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do but any time the barge is not astern of the tug, including during the process of making up on the hip, all hands are called and the captain is running the boat. That is the company policy at the companies I am familiar with out there.

[QUOTE=cappy208;53127]How about if the ‘Old man’ has a heart attack? or otherwise becomes incapacitated? What do you do then? You must be not only prepared but competent to take over. With your docking, and boathandling experience limited by you going out on deck, you have lost the opportunity, time, and instruction to be able to do the necessary job fully. THAT is NOT acceptable. ANYWHERE!! … A Mate standing watch on a towing vessel MUST be more than a ‘Just learning’ and when it comes to maneuvering, the Captain takes over for the Mate.’ This 30 day wonder program is NOT to professional standards for gaining enough experience to stand your own watch.[/QUOTE]

The company policy at these places is that the captain is the ONLY person allowed to make and break tow. Period. The captain does all maneuvering and docking while the mates work the deck. It is VERY different then what your east coast expectations are cappy. Hell, the “captain training programs” at these places is just boat handling time under the supervision of a captain. That is the way it is done and always has been done, they adapt the toar to fit this.

I see your point! I worked for a company like that (Andri Inc) so I found me another job! It is ridiculous that companies would have that mentality!!

Mates should be able to do the job as well as the captain because when he is in bed the Mate is making decision that cpuld affect the Environment and the life of his crew members!!

That is such misguided policy. That’s like saying only the guy in the left seat can land the aircraft. Absolutely nuts.

This is why these types of companies have a less than desirable reputation for looking for and attracting qualified help. Someone with proper experience and talent wouldnt go there. I havent worked at one of these types of places. I guess I have been lucky. BUT, I know that I would not be where I am if I HAD gotten stuck under this type of ‘training’ when I started. It is very unprofessional for a company to foster such narrowminded to not train employees.