Trawler Alaska Juris Abandoned

trawler Alaska Juris Abandoned in Bering Sea

46 crew rescued.

Is this one of those old clunker boats or a newer one?

More importantly, did they get all of the crew?

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;187871]Is this one of those old clunker boats or a newer one?

More importantly, did they get all of the crew?[/QUOTE]

US built, 1975. Seattle)
All crew saved.

Owned by same outfit that owned Alaska Ranger…sunk in 2008.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;187870]trawler Alaska Juris Abandoned in Bering Sea

46 crew rescued.[/QUOTE]

It just made Fox News. Alaska Juris went down 150 miles NW of Adak in the Western Aleutians. Talk about the back of beyond. It’s been awhile since I’ve see this boat, but I belive that it was a sister ship of the Alaska Ranger and the Alaska Voyager. The Alaska Ranger sunk 100 miles south of Dutch Harbor about a few years ago. I seem to recall that the Alaska Voyager sunk maybe 10 or 15 years ago.

These vessels were tuna seiners that were converted to factory trawlers in the 1980’s. They were owned for years by the infamous Fishing Company of Alaska (Japanese owners reputed to be Yakusa — Japanese mafia. The American wife of one of the Japanese was “officially” the “owner”, but it was a Japanese run operation. They had a terrible reputation and many incidents. Alaska Juris is owned by American woman’s estate. The remaining FCA boats recently came under new management by an established Alaska fishing company. Presumably, it wants control of the fishing quotas.

I wish c.captain were able to comment on this, he would know a lot more about it than I do.

Evidently not sunk yet, Coast Guard is reporting that the Resolve Pioneer is going to attempt a recovery.

5 degree list according to ADN not sure why they jumped ship so early wx in the uscg video didn’t look terrible.

[QUOTE=rshrew;187901]5 degree list according to ADN not sure why they jumped ship so early wx in the uscg video didn’t look terrible.[/QUOTE]

Insurance?

[QUOTE=rshrew;187901]5 degree list according to ADN not sure why they jumped ship so early wx in the uscg video didn’t look terrible.[/QUOTE]

If the Juris is anything like the Ranger hopefully it’s gone before the Pioneer reaches it.

Does anyone know who is managing the boats for FCA now?

[QUOTE=snacktray;187931]Does anyone know who is managing the boats for FCA now?[/QUOTE]

I hear that Blue North recently took over management of the former FCA boats for whoever is administering the owner’s estate.

and… now nobody knows where it went http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/fate-of-missing-alaska-juris-trawler-still-a-mystery/

The Alaska Daily News Artilcle is slightly more informative discussing low ceilings hampering any aerial search, the arrival of Resolve Pioneer, and the arrival of the crew in Adak (many without shoes or ID).

[QUOTE=renoun;188107]The Alaska Daily News Artilcle is slightly more informative discussing low ceilings hampering any aerial search, the arrival of Resolve Pioneer, and the arrival of the crew in Adak (many without shoes or ID).[/QUOTE]

The Resolve Pioneer reported a sheen which had dissipated on the next pass.

As far as I can tell the USCG is the very best when you need a hero in this kind of situation. It’s not an accident, though. If a company puts lives and the environment at risk as part of their day-to-day business plan, I feel that they should pay 100% of the cost for whatever action is taken to save the lives of its workers. Perhaps some kind of truth in recruitment measure should be implemented too, so that fish factory workers are aware of the risks and conditions when they sign up. It isn’t fair to snack-up a jobless uneducated young person from Eureka, Montana; hand him a pfd with a whistle and a light, and set him adrift on a floating wreck in a 10 foot polar sea.

I’ve only been briefly and peripherally involved in the fisheries and it was a long time ago but there are a lot of regulatory moving piece as to why they use old vessels etc.

There are a lot of good people in the C.G but in incidences like this the organization tends to focus on possible individual wrong doing and not look at the big picture. I"ve posted on here before the CG should not be in regulating.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;188118]

There are a lot of good people in the C.G but in incidences like this the organization tends to focus on possible individual wrong doing and not look at the big picture. I"ve posted on here before the CG should not be in regulating.[/QUOTE]

I meant that their SAR is top-notch. Here, SAR, Coast Guard, and Transport Canada (regulation) are all different orgs.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;188120]I meant that their SAR is top-notch. Here, SAR, Coast Guard, and Transport Canada (regulation) are all different orgs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the CG has some excellent people on the inspection side as well. I think it’d be better if the U.S. used a civilian agency for regulations, investigation and licensing. USCG is a “can do” organization which is why they get assigned all these different tasks that don’t fit well in another agency.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;188126]Yes, the CG has some excellent people on the inspection side as well. I think it’d be better if the U.S. used a civilian agency for regulations, investigation and licensing. USCG is a “can do” organization which is why they get assigned all these different tasks that don’t fit well in another agency.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. The Canadian CG is a civilian rescue agency. They also control ship traffic in busy commercial ports but they have no law enforcement capabilities. They don’t carry firearms. They can’t be compared to the mighty USCG.
USCG SAR is in a class by itself but the agency is tasked with way too many responsibilities and limited resources to be 100% effective in all of them.
By the way, why are they sent on errands halfway around the planet when their name is the friggin’ [U]US COAST[/U] Guard?

The Canadian Coast Guard is part of SAR, but overall SAR is coordinated by our armed forces. Even our special ops guys get in on it. They’re every bit as badass as the USCG when it comes to saving the day. We need more, though. Especially when the NW Passage becomes a busy seaway. (Justin: call me, we gotta talk)