Towing endorsement questions

I am a deep sea guy (Unl. Master), I need to learn ;

One institute at Marina Del Rey say they issue towing endorsement cert. with $65.- for 4 hrs class.
They are under USCG coverage -I mean I found the institute at CG approved schools.

And I heard from Tugboat guys, that “you got to have the master of towing not the towing endorsement.”

The other source said " You got to be an observer for 30days and USCG give you TOAR"

Please advise if the towing endorsement issued at Marina Del Rey can be good enough
when they hire mate/master of towing vessels.

The advertisement was like 1600ton/Unlimited master, mate with “towing endorsement”.

That sounds like the commerical towing endorsement for responding to recreational craft in need of assistance.

It is a different kettle of fish from the TOAR and MOT.

Definitely assistance towing endorsement.

[QUOTE=capitanahn;35308]I am a deep sea guy (Unl. Master), I need to learn.[/QUOTE]

http://www.mtvassociation.com/index.html

[QUOTE=seadawg;35347]http://www.mtvassociation.com/index.html[/QUOTE]

I found this ; [I]There is no “course” ashore you can take instead of the TOAR.[/I]
[I][/I]
[I]Thank you.[/I]

[QUOTE=water;35320]That sounds like the commerical towing endorsement for responding to recreational craft in need of assistance.

It is a different kettle of fish from the TOAR and MOT.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I tought it was too easy to get it…

California Sailing Academy is talking about the commercial assistance towing endorsement for licenses not more than 200 GRT. Assistance towing is not the same as a towing vessel endorsement. That requires service on a towing vessel and compl;etion of the TOAR. As others have noted, there are no courses to substitute for the TOAR (there are lengthy programs, but not short, discrete courses).

The commercial assistance towing endorsement is not required to engage in assistance towing for licenses over 200 GRT. Note also that “assistance towing” is very clearly definied, it is limited to towing a [U]disabled[/U] vessel for consideration.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;35510]California Sailing Academy is talking about the commercial assistance towing endorsement for licenses not more than 200 GRT. Assistance towing is not the same as a towing vessel endorsement. That requires service on a towing vessel and compl;etion of the TOAR. As others have noted, there are no courses to substitute for the TOAR (there are lengthy programs, but not short, discrete courses).

The commercial assistance towing endorsement is not required to engage in assistance towing for licenses over 200 GRT. Note also that “assistance towing” is very clearly definied, it is limited to towing a [U]disabled[/U] vessel for consideration.[/QUOTE]

We got to learn all the time, Now I got clear understanding.