To Hawsepipe or not to Hawsepipe

I am currently an active duty Boatswainsmate in the Coast Guard with just shy of 9 years sea time on everything from Buoy Tenders to Ice Breakers. I am the Navigator and a Deck Watch Officer on a Buoy Tender in FL. I have just got my assessment letter back from the REC and I have enough Sea time for 3rd mates near coastal and just short 40 days for 3rd mate unlimited and I qualify for AB unlimited.

I have read some of the post’s from previous people on Gcaptain about Hawsepipers and ex-military. I would like to knockout my 3rd mates license now before I retire. As a hawsepipe would I have the same opportunity to work on container ships and cruise liners or as that strictly for Maritime Graduates?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer…

Boats,
what do you have to lose?
Besides a 3rd’s license is a 3rd’s license (IMO) in yer respective area of the industry. Yer still gonna have to prove to someone you got the chops to do the job anyway. Additionally pursuing this while still in allows you to do [U]DRAW AN INCOME[/U] while yer doing it; a LUXURY those on the outside cannot enjoy. You also have the added advantage of being able to generate most of the required paperwork on [U]COMMAND LETTERHEAD[/U]. Priceless.

Retired Navy BMC sends

Absolutely. I am an ex-Naval Officer currently sailing as an AB. I am working on my requirements for my license. I have stood watch with hawespiper mates on APL vessels and I’m currently standing watch with a retired Navy Chief Signalman who sails as 3rd Mate on an MSC vessel. Try and get your Government Quals (you can contact MSC or one of the unions). Being able to sail on the Government ships will make it alot easier for you to get work.

[QUOTE=Ashatsea;42061] I have just got my assessment letter back from the REC and I have enough Sea time for 3rd mates near coastal and just short 40 days for 3rd mate unlimited and I qualify for AB unlimited…[/QUOTE]

Good luck Boats. I retired 2 years ago, got my 1600 Master and now work overseas and very happy.

Remember that not only do you have to get the assessments done, you have to get the reqired training in approved schools. Coast Guard training is not Coast Guard approved for licenses. I am wrestling with THEM right now and if nothing else, I am creating work and jbs because they are fighting me tooth and nail. If they do not approve my appeal, they will have to admit in writing that a USCG underway OOD letter is not worth he paper it is printed on and I am not sure ADM Papp will want to see that in writing.

Good luck and if you have any questions or I can help you, please contact me.