These Might Be The Worst Maritime Videos Ever Produced – gCaptain

Spot On Captain Konrad, Spot on.

A Maritime Administration without an Administrator. A Ready Reserve Force without Reserve… A US Flag Merchant Fleet without vessels…

Historically, I have looked upon the selection and appointment of Maritime Administrators with much disdain, specifically when the appointee was more times than not the Commanding Officer of a command which sought to abolish the Maritime Administration… But even that was far superior to this nonsense.

Oh, to revisit those joyous- exuberant comments regarding the “new administration”- What are these overjoyed automatons saying now? A Jones Act vessel availability survey in 24 hours? Rapid fire waivers with laid up US Flag Tankers? An acting “Administrator” with no commercial ship experience? No, nothing has changed. What can we ALL do to change this? Solidarity, Unity in Purpose, Common Sense Alternatives… that would be good for starters…

3 Likes

“…That said, if you are looking to be depressed then go watch for yourself:…”

I can’t; the circumstances our industry finds itself in already has me sufficiently depressed.

1 Like

I would reply but, like I said, I’m at a loss for words.

But I can quote one email I received from a senior army officer who is now retired:

Unacceptable responses from General Lyons and Ms Lessley, they actual said these meaningless lines over and over:

1. making a number of changes
  2. these drive costs
  3. I have great confidence
  4. environment changing rapidly
  5. contested environment requiring we evolve
  6. vis a vis
  7. points of failure
  8. selective providers
  9. see themselves more clearly
  10. thats a great question
  11. global posture to reorient our posture……temporal advantage
  12. buy down the risk
  13. transition to conflict
  14. we really do get it
  15. pushing on an open door policy on information sharing
    16 support to our 6 state maritime academies
  16. work closely, initiatives on the table, a wide range of activities, industry partners….
  17. we are resilient and flexible….

And my favorite: "We are pusing on an open door”….what does that even mean?

None of these responses contain any factual information….its just babble….and more babble….

Ms Lessley had no answers, did not even know number of US ships being built or operated. Gen Lyons also said nothing. His standard response was “I would need to defer to those responsible for those programs…God help us, they all said nothing.

OK, I need to stop, but this was ludicrous….None of the real issues and problems in our industry were addressed, and Gen Lyons presented a skewed and totally incorrect assessment of the US maritime capability.

1 Like

The US Maritime capability has been outsourced to “markets” There is not any government operation that corporate interests will not take over for their own benefit so this is no surprise. Whether, shipping, prisons, education or the military they’ll take over the business, cut quality and pocket the difference without reducing costs paid by the taxpayer… Been going on for many years. They write the rules and reap the profits. It’s reverse MAGA :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMHO (and certainly no secret), only one issue is driving our downward spiral (I see tenengineer1 just chimed in with a longer, similar assessment) - the continued driving down of wages/costs through exploitation of seamen/flags of poorer nations.
When I first went to sea, American-flagged ships comprised roughly fifty percent of the daily New Orleans Times-Picayune Marine Log listings.

I need help with a translation. At min. 43:35, in the context of mobilizing Jones Act vessels in time of national emergency, GEN Lyons states: “In wargaming, what we’ve discovered, is we would probably not want to uncover the economic viability of the coastwise trade for the purposes of American support.” I’m a native English speaker with 10 years in the military, but I can’t interpret this statement. Does GEN Lyons mean we don’t want “the enemy” to find out what our capabilities are, or does he mean we don’t want Americans to find out?

1 Like

That is a weird statement, also “economic viability”. Saying economic makes it sound like he’s saying American ships are too expensive and our future warplanners are only looking at foreign ships to haul US Cargo. He also says coastwise trade, which I don’t think makes sense, because we’re talking about trans-oceanic cargo to support a war effort.

The title of the thread says it all: the Golden Globe Awards show on smoke and optics, personalities and partisan politics. Nothing to address the actual issue.

What once made the U.S merchant marine great? Operating differential subsidies and construction differential subsidies. Floods of cash from taxpayers, used by the government to ensure a large American merchant marine was around in time of war.

The subsidies began in 1936 and ended in the 1980s The USMM has been in decline since. Want to turn it around? Reinstate the subsidies. Convince the majority of senators to steer existing tax money towards those subsides, or ask them to tax you more to fund them. Cold, hard cash. Put up, or shut up.

Nothing else will do it. No amount of flag waving, chest-thumping, military necessity, demonizing or movie critiquing will add one more ship to the fleet.

So, where is the comprehensive plan to sway the opinion of the U.S senate towards re-subsidizing the U.S. merchant marine?

I return you now to the Golden Globe Awards, already in progress… ::smile:

2 Likes

The economic, national security attributes and trade contributions of having a strong Jones Act Fleet are obvious. I for one, can thing of nothing but ruin if Foreign Flag vessels are permitted to carry cargo between US Ports. The national security ramifications are truly astounding.

Unfortunately, we’ve lost our shipbuilding capacity; mostly because the major yards switched from building merchant ships to most exclusively Naval shipbuilding. When NNDSB attempted to build a revolutionary new tanker design, they failed from the financial standpoint- lost money on every build. We’ve been delegated the role of assembling “kit ships” which basically come in large part from the Orient; this is NOT shipbuilding.

Then we have another major point which contributed to the demise of the US Flag Tanker Fleet- The US Government, MSC- which for many years chartered out over 40% of their time and voyage charters to Foreign Flag vessels- claiming ad naseum that no US Flag vessels were available… That and a former MSC Commander who was hell bent on destroying the MSC Contracted Fleet in favor of the Civil Service Fleet. We warned from 1948 on- in MANY Merchant Marine Sub-Committee hearings not to allow the government owned and operated vessels to do away with commercial vessels… Now we have a MSC fleet that numbers more than the Jones Act fleet- reprehensible in my mind…

But, lets try and look at positive actions- ones that will strengthen and unify us- first the US Government must transport ALL cargo, regardless of route, trade and etc- aboard US Flag vessels ONLY. Second- all of this North Slop Crude leaving Alaska on foreign bottoms- 50% needs to be transported on US Flag vessels.

For transparency- FORCE by legislation- that EVERY Jones Act Waiver- from availability study to Waiver Application to Waiver- is MADE FULLY PUBLIC an easily accessible- instead of the sham we have now.

Lastly- REMOVE every single person in MARAD’s Executive Branch who lacks commercial experience- we need veteran shipping people, not political appointee’s with hidden agendas to short circuit us from within…This includes former MSC Commanders who have accomplished nothing in recent years to create and foster a salient, long reaching national maritime strategy…

4 Likes

Bingo

The truth angers lots of people and our admirals and generals would never have made flag rank if they said anything that angered politicians and their superiors.

If you watch my last video with Sal Mercogliano now you will see that I started to name individual people by name. People who are responsible for specific fuck ups.

We are just not gonna get anywhere until these people admit they have fucked up and we, as a maritime nation, have failed.

We have hit rock bottom boys and until we admit that nothings going to improve.

Tell me your congressman and tell them that we need their help. Go visit your congressman or Senator and tell them face-to-face that they fucked up. Then go find any admiral or general and tell him that he fucked up.

They’re going to hate you for saying it but that’s how you know it’s true.

3 Likes

What I think he’s saying is, if war breaks out, we desperately need our Jones act free to continue doing what they are doing right now: working domestically.

So if we divert all our Jones at tankers to the waterfront I how are we going to get screwed oil from Alaska to our refineries? How are we going to get gasoline to our factories and military bases in places that don’t have a pipeline like Florida.

In short, the jones act fleet is more important than anyone realizes

3 Likes

“… if Foreign Flag vessels are permitted to carry cargo between US Ports.”

You can bet if it comes to this that certain states will make sure that inland waterways
remain protected. I feel this is largely why Jones Act service still exists at all.

1 Like

I hope that we never reach that point, I literally cringe just thinking about Foreign Flag vessels routinely transiting our inland waterways…

There was nothing revolutionary about the “Double Eagle” tankers. It was a run-of-the-mill, well- tested mid-1990’s era tanker design and they lost their ass building them. The first build was rejected by the buyer over quality issues. The considerable expertise in commercial shipbuilding that NNS had until the early 80’s was gone in less than a decade. They were transformed from a viable shipbuilder into another arm of the military-industrial system, suckling on the government teat.

2 Likes