There goes the peace and quiet

http://gcaptain.com/u-s-merchant-marine-academy-reinstates-sea-year-sort/

Hopefully they take their sweet time, because I’m sorta enjoying life without cadets.

Holy smokes.

I clicked the link and dug down to the consultants report of findings. What a damning document.

It pretty much affirms, albeit more articulately, the sentiments of our beloved forum mascot - the right honorable C.Captain.

[QUOTE=SeniorJet;194235]It pretty much affirms, albeit more articulately, the sentiments of our beloved forum mascot - the right honorable C.Captain.[/QUOTE]

more articulate than I? How dare you…SIR!

although I do find the title “right honorable” most gratifying so you are forgiven…for now!

Elaine Chao will “address” this by undermining the Jones Act covertly on the orders of the Kitty Grabber in Chief, and ensuring that American jobs end up in the hands of third world personnel who have no standing to sue in US courts of law.

Very likely

I think Elaine Chao, and Trump, may turn out to be pretty good for the Jones Act and US maritime interests.

It’s about time for a letter writing campaign to urge the new Secretary of Homeland Security to order his flunkies at the USCG to stop issuing OCS waivers for foreign seamen. Similarly, its time for the State Department to stop issuing US OCS visas to foreign seamen. The Obama Administration refused to help us on these issues. Let’s give the Trump Administration a chance to help us before we start bashing it.

what on earth makes you believe this?

It’s about time for a letter writing campaign to urge the new Secretary of Homeland Security to order his flunkies at the USCG to stop issuing OCS waivers for foreign seamen. Similarly, its time for the State Department to stop issuing US OCS visas to foreign seamen. The Obama Administration refused to help us on these issues. Let’s give the Trump Administration a chance to help us before we start bashing it.

us mariners have no power to influence anyone on this…my sincere hope is that ECO, HOS and HGIM who have the vessels to do the work start getting real loud on this matter in the halls of Washingtoon. they have the money to do this heavy lifting and with the downturn they are losing more than us miserable peons.

let us hope

• Updated - - -

a miserable and ugly mess there with some very discouraged people however there is still no valid reason to keep that place operating so the best way to clean up the cesspool is to cease pumping money into it, pump out the sludge and fill it with concrete.

Not sure you guys were watching this yesterday… skip to 38 minutes to hear remarks about USMMA and Jones Act.

PS - Holy hell took me 10 minutes to login to reply to this damn threat and I’m an admin. You guys should to email John.

[QUOTE=Mikey;194258]PS - Holy hell took me 10 minutes to login to reply to this damn threat and I’m an admin. You guys should to email John.[/QUOTE]

we have been for months…

don’t you also work on these issues?

[QUOTE=c.captain;194259]don’t you also work on these issues?[/QUOTE]

…nope…

[QUOTE=Mikey;194260]…nope…[/QUOTE]

that is a surprise…why don’t you say something to him because many people here are giving up and going away.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;194255]I think Elaine Chao, and Trump, may turn out to be pretty good for the Jones Act and US maritime interests.

It’s about time for a letter writing campaign to urge the new Secretary of Homeland Security to order his flunkies at the USCG to stop issuing OCS waivers for foreign seamen. Similarly, its time for the State Department to stop issuing US OCS visas to foreign seamen. The Obama Administration refused to help us on these issues. Let’s give the Trump Administration a chance to help us before we start bashing it.[/QUOTE]

Like Australia wants to stop issuing visa to American rig crews?

[QUOTE=ombugge;194264]Like Australia wants to stop issuing visa to American rig crews?[/QUOTE]

Australia? Slow down dude. Maybe we can think about solving Australia’s problems if they invite us to do so after we’ve solved the problem of protecting US mariners. They may not even give a rat’s ass what we think about their internal affairs. Are there so many Aussies working the GOM that we should come up with reciprocal arrangements with them? I don’t think so.
I’ve taken threads off on a tangent once or twice but you take the cake.

Yes. Exactly. No reason at all why the US or Aussie should allow more than 10 percent foreign crew, if that. And then, only crew with the highest and scarcest skills. No more Filipino ABs just because they work for almost nothing. No more foreign mates and DPOs either.

Obviously, gcaptain is intentionally killing the forum with these “technical problems”.

[QUOTE=lm1883;194265]The AMO and SIU seem to like her.[/QUOTE]

They have many friends on both sides of the aisle. There isn’t a more successful lobbying group in DC. Not to welcome folks back to DC, with whom, they have a history and may be working with for the next eight years would be irresponsible to the members and their investment.

[QUOTE=Mikey;194258]PS - Holy hell took me 10 minutes to login to reply to this damn threat and I’m an admin. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it works pretty quickly for admins …

DeepSeaDiver is killing this forum

[QUOTE=Mikey;194258]

PS - Holy hell took me 10 minutes to login to reply to this damn threat and I’m an admin. You guys should to email John.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for noticing. I keep a tablet just for gCaptain so I can clear the memory after each session. PITA. Looking for any assistance for any souce. We are pulling for you! Nobody else has made any headway.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;194268]Yes. Exactly. No reason at all why the US or Aussie should allow more than 10 percent foreign crew, if that. And then, only crew with the highest and scarcest skills. No more Filipino ABs just because they work for almost nothing. No more foreign mates and DPOs either.[/QUOTE]

So what’s up with this?
http://gcaptain.com/salvors-preparing-to-refloat-grounded-arca-1-tanker-in-nova-scotia/
Montreal’s bunker barge is Panamanian flagged and is taking off for Mexico?

Maybe that’s just a cover story, they are really headed to NYC 'cause they heard the “Chao” wagon is pulling in.