The term "Master Mariner"

Here’s what MSC says.
I think this whole thing is silly but…

The ship’s master (short for licensed master mariner), or captain, is responsible for the overall operation and maintenance of the ship, including the crew. The crew is organized like this:

The master is the ultimate authority aboard ship. He/she controls the movement of the ship and is responsible for the safety of the ship and all personnel embarked. The master is employed by and reports to the operating company. In this regard, the master is equivalent to a vice president in charge of a major division of a company. Other responsibilities include:

[ol]
[li]Provides lifeboat and emergency station assignments to the crew and all embarked military personnel.[/li][li]Operates and maintains the ship to Coast Guard and American Bureau of Shipping standards.[/li][li]Acts as disbursing officer for all embarked merchant marine officers and crew.[/li][li]Ensures the ship is operated within the terms of its insurance coverage and its time charter with the Navy.[/li][/ol]
The chief engineer is also a captain by rank in the merchant marine. His/her responsibilities include:

[ol]
[li]Overseeing all propulsion and related auxiliary systems.[/li][li]Maintaining the cargo handling system.[/li][li]Periodic testing of cranes, ramps, hatches, elevators and other mechanics of the ship to ensure their operability.[/li][li]Inventory control and issuance of all ship’s spare parts.[/li][/ol]
The chief mate aboard ships in the MPS program is generally required to be a licensed master mariner. As chief mate, he/she:

[ol]
[li]Oversees all deck and cargo operations.[/li][li]Is equivalent to an executive officer on a naval combatant.[/li][li]Provides a safety and emergency training to the crew and all embarked personnel.[/li][/ol]

Ok, I’ll admit this BS thread has gotten my blood boiling. I just can’t believe my fellow deckies could be so danm gullable… so he’s proof:

1. I looked up the first SteamShip: S/S Clermont 1807

2. Enetered term “Master Mariner” Google book search

3. Clicked advance search and entered “Only show books published before 1807”

4. First Result: The thoughts on religion and evidence of christianity of Pascal; Published 1801

I’m not an expert in Etomology and I don’t onw a copy of OEDbut if the first steam ship wasn’t launched untill 1807 but hundreds of books (as per google book search) mention the term “Master Mariner” prior to that… how in the hell could this tread be accurate??

If we are too lazy too look something up before spreading nonsense rumors like this, then it’s no wonder the engineers give us a hard time.

The entire MM thing got me confused when I ran into the woman working with MSC who had a Master UL and Chief UL. Later I ran across an article calling her a ‘master mariner’ since she had maxed out in both professions license wise. Until then I had always thought a master mariner was a captain that didn’t run aground much or get lost on a regular basis.

Using the term “master” as an adjective should explain it all.

As a British Merchant Navy Officer. I will only use the term ‘Master Mariner’ to
describe a person who holds an unlimited class 1 ticket. However, they are always adressed as Captain on the bridge. On smaller vessels the word ‘Skipper’ is more appropriate unless proven otherwise.
I recently called a skipper a captain, not by mistake but by respect after he showed good leadership and seamanship skills under pressure. When I really drop the captain in the crap I find the word Sir appropriate. Tradition and custom are still great tools of our trade. While on the subject of tradition, Mathew Walker came from my town in Sunderland, England. He was a rigger on the banks of the River Wear.

I have my Unlimited Masters AGT Upon Oceans but don’t consider myself a “Master Mariner”. I was always told that required the Masters, the Chiefs, and also Master of Sail. So, indeed there are very few true Master Mariners that meet that criteria.

It’s always something you don’t have. That keeps the motivation up.

Exactly . .

But you better get it, because I hear only Master Mariners are getting work!!

Here’s some gas for the fire . .

http://www.dyessmaritime.com/

Look about 10 lines down . .

And you BETTER call me Captain when you see me passed out at the 5-Point!!

I want me one o’ them “Advanced Boater” thingys.

They should be required to wear a special hat or something so we can identify them from far, far away . . :eek:

Someone blew smoke up your hole…

I do remember seeing a license long ago which had “Master Mariner” as its banner - It belonged to Capt. Frank Gaines, who founded “Maritime Institute” in San Diego, and who I very seriously doubt would have ever had something which he hadn’t earned.

I know that he was apparently a full-dulie, and someone told me that he was “Licensed for anything and everything you could do onboard anything that floats with a US flag” including AGT Sail from time on the Eagle.

I’m going off of a 30 year old memory, but I remember this was the first time I had ever seen “Master Mariner” . . Really nice guy too . .

Most of the guys I know who worry about the definition of “Master Mariner” are the same guys who order their checks with “Capt.” in front of their names.

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;21091]Most of the guys I know who worry about the definition of “Master Mariner” are the same guys who order their checks with “Capt.” in front of their names.[/QUOTE]

Kinda like Chad Ochocinco…maybe Capt.Lee can legally change his name to Lee Mastermariner.

Just show me the Money!!

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;21091]Most of the guys I know who worry about the definition of “Master Mariner” are the same guys who order their checks with “Capt.” in front of their names.[/QUOTE]

Same goes for their email addresses.

Like this one?

:cool:

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;21096]Like this one?

:cool:[/QUOTE]

Well, I wasn’t going to mention it… :wink:

The name of the level I have achieved is master mariner. If I want to use the title Capt in my email address I will. I am by no means arrogant but I don’t see any reason to be coy about it either, it’s not like someone just handed me a master license for my good looks. If anyone objects then let them spent a good part of twenty years working the way up the ladder and then let me know what you think, anyone else knows where they can go.

That would be your master’s endorsement, sir. No such thing as a license in the new, improved NMC utopia.