The superyacht Ecstasea crashing into a bridge in St Maarten

We only got a screenshot instead of a link to a clip…

This gives a better overview of the situation, Apart from touching the dolphin at the port side they manage to squeeze through.

There is more funny stuff to see at Sint Maarten! I suppose that in any other country they would declare that part of the beach as an off limits area…

That’s odd, works here! Try this (uncompressed) url…

Unless there’s a blocker of some sort.

1 Like

In the Utopia vid (albeit exiting lagoon, not entering) you can clearly see the offset of the channel to/from the bay. Utopia was dealing with a NE’ly breeze too!

It would have been helpful to use the port bowthruster. Maybe they did but it is hard to see.

Watch in the first few seconds that guy stepping out of the control room just in time to safety!

Why did they leave that forward hatch door in that lowered position? They really messed it up pretty good.

1 Like

1 Like

I hear Chuck Norris is the current owner.

Those two Women: Nerves of steel, or deliciously intoxicated!!!

1 Like

Neither, they just knew there was no way in the world that boat or any part of it could come anywhere near them.

1 Like

Spec sheet says it has conventional drives plus water jet for the gas turbines (I’m assuming). Says no thrusters either. Must not be complete if the picture shows thruster wash. Unless that is just the wake off the bow and it has no thrusters. That would seem unusual for a 282’ boat.

Cut through bridge is 17m wide. Beam is 11.5m so that leaves about 9’ on either side for clearance.

Looks like a thruster working in the video. The way the thruster wash is trailing aft suggests they were going too fast for it to be effective.

1 Like

It would if the boat were in the center of the cut, the video clearly shows the bow was far to the right side of centerline - so far that that it hit the bridge within a few feet of the bow.

That passage was a lost cause long before the allision.

1 Like

On a side note - what is up with vertical video? On this one it’s a tossup, but time after time I see video of ships where the photographer is holding the camera vertically and swinging it back and forth because he/she is trying to video a horizontally oriented scene and doesn’t think to turn the camera 90 degrees.

2 Likes

Try and be a bit sympathetic. We have all been there and got it wrong at sometime… else you have never piloted a boat.

It’s just a tad* more embarrassing when you are driving a very shiny and expensive boat and there are lots of people with cameras.

For tad… read hugely and cringeworthy

3 Likes

This on the other hand never gets old evidently.

1 Like
1 Like

Kenebec

If you are going to quote me… please include the bit where I show it is tongue in cheek :roll_eyes:

Should have gone backwards…

2 Likes

Ex-supply boat guy?

3 Likes