That time of year again...what were the top US maritime industry stories of 2015?

here are my nominees for the top three…

1. the loss of the EL FARO
  2. Shell Oil’s abandoning the Alaskan Arctic
  3. the bloodbath in the offshore industry due to continued low crude prices

here are my what will the biggest 2016 stories be…

1. who will be the first big bankruptcy in offshore?
  2. will the NTSB and USCG release a “real” accident report on the loss of the EL FARO?
  3. will any candidate for president even once mention the word “maritime” in their campaigns?
  1. El faro
  2. Oil support industry downturn
  3. Cajaya’s plight against the “man”

[QUOTE=z-drive;174901]3. Cajaya’s plight against the “man”[/QUOTE]

how on earth could I have missed that one?

of course we MUST add cajaya’s personal triumph against the domination of male Neanderthals EVERYWHERE!

[QUOTE=c.captain;174928]of course we MUST add cajaya’s personal triumph against the domination of male Neanderthals EVERYWHERE![/QUOTE]

Not sure if she should make this list as she really is in a world of her own. She already sees herself as a Queen so maybe we should be careful of putting her any higher (in her warped little mind) than she already believes that she is.

[QUOTE=c.captain;174895]here are my nominees for the top three…

1. the loss of the EL FARO
  2. Shell Oil’s abandoning the Alaskan Arctic
  3. the bloodbath in the offshore industry due to continued low crude prices

here are my what will the biggest 2016 stories be…

1. who will be the first big bankruptcy in offshore?

2. will the NTSB and USCG release a “real” accident report on the loss of the EL FARO?

3. will any candidate for president even once mention the word “maritime” in their campaigns?[/QUOTE]

4. N-0A.A. finally has a full roster of enjuneeeers. We’ll see when the panic sets in as it does the beginning of field season. “No Vacancies!” Supposedly we have this super duper recruiting program going on now.

5. I would include our new MEBA contract but they figured out how to delay it another 30 days so I’ll post back when that finally hits the pavement. Hey, last one was what, 25 years ago? What’s another month???

I believe this one right here is going to be the biggest story of 2016

[B]Offshore Supply Vessel Owners Face Bankruptcy with Drop in Drilling Rigs[/B]

December 8, 2015 by Bloomberg

By David Wethe

(Bloomberg) — The relatively unheralded corner of the oil sector that sends supply boats out to offshore oil rigs may see bankruptcies as the worst crude market downturn in decades spreads.

More than half of the public companies in the offshore supply-vessel industry face a high probability of restructuring or bankruptcy, according to research released Tuesday from the consulting firm AlixPartners.

The vessels are a lifeline to the rigs, hauling everything from pipes to food from shore. The supply boats are custom-made for the oil industry and depend on the rigs for work, Esben Christensen, a director at the firm’s maritime practice in New York, said Monday in a phone interview.

“If the rig market is down or not doing well, it’s very, very difficult to find employment for this type of asset anywhere else,” Christiensen said. “They really go hand in hand.”

Similar to the offshore rig industry, where new rigs continue to be built amid a slump in demand for the equipment, the vessels are facing a glut. There are now more than five supply vessels for each offshore drilling rig, according to AlixPartners. That’s up from roughly three vessels per rig in 2008.

Double Whammy

The offshore industry is facing the double whammy of falling demand from steep costs at the same time that new rigs keep rolling out of the shipyard and add to the global glut of equipment. All that is occurring during the worst crude market downturn in decades. West Texas Intermediate crude, the U.S. benchmark, is down 40 percent in the past year.

Oil prices may remain lower for longer than many expect after the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries said Dec. 4 that it was essentially lifting its production target for crude. WTI fell 5.8 percent to $37.65 a barrel Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The amount of debt the companies carry compared with earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, which is known as leverage, climbed over the year ended in June, according to AlixPartners. Sustained debt that’s more than four times Ebitda is often a precursor to restructuring or bankruptcy, according to the firm, which looked at 33 publicly traded companies as part of the study.

Transocean Ltd., the world’s largest supplier of offshore drilling rigs, has said the challenging offshore market is expected to last into 2017.

who is leveraged the most? who has the least cash? who is in a position unable to borrow any more to keep operations afloat? who will be the first to hard aground, unable to get off?

• Updated - - -

we are being facetious here…cajaya is a micro pimple on the butt of our industry

For the love of god can I please read a decent thread without having to see her name here?

Yes, please stop slandering my name all over this place. I never said I was a queen or anything of that sort. If that’s how you interpreted it, you are mistaken. Of course…I forgot, women are suppose to mitigate whenever we write or speak, we are not supposed to just say things for how they really are.

[QUOTE=c.captain;174956]we are being facetious here…cajaya is a micro pimple on the butt of our industry[/QUOTE]
and c.captain is a herpes sore on the mouth of it

Can we, for the love of God just have a thread about something that has nothing to do with you??? Every thread with you in it devolves into a middle school argument that goes on longer than Happy Days did.

C. Captain has his issues, but at least he can bring relevant insight and information into some discussions. Yours all devolve into GOM men bad and stupid, Cajaya correct about everything.

He called you a name get over it like an adult and move on. This useless name calling/arguments between you and others has started to ruin this forum.

I don’t even bother reading what you write anymore because <a href=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04”>this</a> is just what it sounds like to me…

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;175356].[/QUOTE]
I don’t even bother reading what you write anymore because this is just what it sounds like to me. Just noise.

It took me less than 10 posts to get you to stop reading them. I consider that a win.

I’m still waiting for you to answer specific questions I asked in a thread awhile back. Maybe you didn’t hear because you were in the Maine Engine, or you’re still trying to figure out which model it is, or maybe you were getting your venereal caliber calibrated. Regardless, this website was a semi professional place to be, a helpful forum, and was BETTER when you were away getting sexually harassed by all those retard inbred coonasses that dont know a tap & die set from your cooch.

The other night when I was out drinking I heard that there was some type of offshore incident within the last 2 weeks, where 32 people were injured. Heard it was being hushed up.

[QUOTE=cajaya;175449]The other night when I was out drinking I heard that there was some type of offshore incident within the last 2 weeks, where 32 people were injured. Heard it was being hushed up.[/QUOTE]

word on the street I heard is that there are black Ninjas and mafia hitmen all converging on your town with a mission to liquidate a certain loudmouth BITCH!

I even hear the Navy SEALS and Army Delta Team Rangers have orders from the President to shoot the rogue SHEMALE on sight

You should read some of gCaptain’s articles(Facebook,email,website) They contain some valuable information sometimes.