Tankers In Tampa

depends on where they finished, 10K/mo (+/-) 1,000? plus the MPB

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been trying to say. The rest of the fleet is not interested in joining.

Of course they are.

They even gave the OSG guys a year of pension credit for each year they had worked for OSG already. Not sure how the money math works out on that one.

Is this a serious question? Obviously those that trash the benefits of MEBA are truly blind. First off, a mate in MEBA can easily go get another job that pays much more and work fewer hours each day. And of course not live in fear of mr company dicking him over–guess people forgot the layoffs from the layups.

1 Like

Wow, hadn’t heard that… You know that for certain?

As certain as I can be without being 100% positive.

As a non-mariner, will someone explain to me what happens to the mariners that were employed by OSG when the three vessesl transferred to Keystone? It is easy to switch employer? I don’t understand all the union rules and which companies work with which union, etc. I have noticed OSG putting out job offers on LinkedIn, both tanker positions as well as tug positions. If would seem that if OSG has all the job openings that the crew on those 3 tankers shifted to Keystone? I know OSG is US-flagging Sun Coast, so will need a US crew for that ship. Maybe that’s what the job opening are for? I would have assumed at least some of the crew from the 3 now-Keystone ships might have stayed with OSG, and OSG would have enough mariners to cover their remaining fleet, even with Sun Coast US-flagging. Sorry if these are stupid questions - I am not directly employed in the industry but have been supportive of the Jones Act mostly because it was my understanding that without it, we would likely lose US mariner jobs, which would be a big loss to the country. Thanks in advance for any teaching you could provide.

I counted up MEBA deck officers ships / companies before. I did it again and this is what I got. MEBA has deck billets for 6 tankers, 7 RoRos, 5 containerships, 1 cruise ship and 12 ROS MARAD ships that occasionally get activated FOS. Additionally they have 25 MMP - MEBA cross over billets. They also have ferries but I did not count those.
The tanker contracts that mirror OSG pay are the lower when compared to most MEBA and MMP contracts. I would think that MEBA mates would not want want OSG mates to unionize then those OSG mates might try to compete/ get on ships with higher pay. Then those MEBA mates without PICs might be put in a tougher position. I don’t see OSG unionizing and I don’t see MEBA attempting to at this time.

1 Like

You forgot to include the 10 Interlake ships on the Great Lakes.

Thank you. I was mostly wondering because I was surprised to see OSG have job offers for what looks to be a whole tanker crew out there when I figured they would have enough, or even extra mariners on hand after returning three tankers last month. They have 18 various opening on LinkedIn (that’s the only place I know to look for who’s hiring). Thanks again.

Yes I forgot interlake, even had it written down! Opps!
So add an additional 10 dry bulk vessels and 1 ATB.

I though OSG had union employees? Is that not true?

The Engineers are MEBA. The unlicensed are SIU. The Mates (Deck Offericers) are not union. With regards to Tankers that were taken over by Keystone; The Mates will have the option to join MEBA. If they refuse, their best hope is another position with the ships remaining with OSG. The Engineers and Unlicensed will go with the ships.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. With the Red Hill tender for tankers (via MSC), and potentially expanding TSP program, I hope that the job opportunities for US mariners continue to grow and that additional tankers are bought into US fleets to be US-flagged for that work. I realize the Jones Act tanker market is stagnant, with little opportunity to expand. Bringing in non-US built/non-JA ships via these government-backed programs seems the way to go right now. Again, thank you for the explanation :+1:

Any mate that is not an applicant/member of another officer union can go into a MEBA union hall and try to get a job as an applicant and most likely succeed in short time. More jobs is almost always better for any union.

OSG company men think they are well paid because their pay conditions are very similar to the MEBA engineers package. However, I hear OSG is finding it difficult to attract and retain experienced engineers …because the pay/working hours are not very good compared to other companies. Said another way, OSG mates pay isn’t anything to brag about.

It would depend on the unions serving the two companies. Many years ago, I was CE on a (non union) ATB, and it was sold to a major oil company. I was out of a job instantly. The did call me at one point and asked me to make a trip to train up their engineers. I asked if it could lead to a permanent job, and was told no. So I stayed home. I did get another job with a different company, but at that point, the seagoing portion of my career was getting near the end.

2 Likes

How does OSG pension compare to MEBA?

Anybody else get this email from MMP? Looks like they are throwing their hat into the ring.

Fellow Licensed Deck Officers,

The International Organization of Masters, Mates and Pilots, AFL-CIO would like to represent you, the Licensed Deck Officers, and only the Licensed Deck Officers, at OSG. As you know, MM&P is the only union formed to represent U.S. Licensed Deck Officers and we have over 140 years of experience specializing in addressing the unique needs of LDO’s in the US Merchant Fleet.

As MM&P members we have a lot of pride in our reputation. We know as professional mariners you do too. We are here to help you improve your working conditions and your work opportunities; we think the best way to do that is to listen to what you want and taking time to understand what you want from your career. Call your shipmates who sail MM&P and ask them about their contracts and benefits. We have a dedicated phone line to answer any questions you may have at 410-582-7046. We also have a dedicated email address mmpinfo@bridgedeck.org, drop us a line and let us know how things are going.

We all started by either graduating from a maritime academy or we came up through the Hawse pipe. We, the members of MM&P, are no exception to this. We may have been mugs, youngies, plebes*,* fish, or simply freshman together at the academies. We may have started as ABs, OSs, or DEUs and sailed together.

To say the least we have a lot in common. We need to sit down and talk. We the people who chose to go to sea can have a unified voice in the workplace.

As the largest union of U.S. Merchant Marine Licensed Deck Officers, MM&P has an Offshore fleet of over 80 vessels providing diverse career opportunities for officers sailing both commercially or as CIVMARS aboard our vessels. We also have a large variety of Inland contracts, that give you the widest range of choice in the industry. Interested in becoming a Pilot? We represent nearly all the Pilot associations across the country.

Our bargaining committees through negotiations have achieved industry leading benefits such as:

1. Maritime Institute of Training and Graduate Studies (MITAGS) offers the finest and most progressive maritime continuing education programs in the country. All our offshore contracts offer eligibility after only 30 days of sea time to attend either of our schools for free as a trust student.
  • This means it is your choice what training you want to take. No waiting for arbitrary approvals from the office.
  • This means you pay no money for tuition out of pocket. There is never a “pay back” plan that is only reimbursed if you sail on your license and stay with the company for an extended period of time.
  1. MM&P Health and Benefit Plan provides the best and most comprehensive health insurance of any other U.S. Maritime Union with no additional cost regardless of number of dependents. You will be eligible for coverage whether you are actively sailing or happily retired.
  2. MM&P Vacation Plan provides the most generous number of paid days off per days worked in the maritime Industry. In MM&P we understand that work/life balance is important when you choose to go to sea for a living. It is your choice if you want to go back to work while still on vacation.
  3. USCG Legal Aid provides you with professional legal services from experienced law firms that represent your interest and not the company.

Should you elect us to be your Representative we will work to provide the following through Collective Bargaining with OSG:

• Improvements to your Shipboard wages while enhancing your fringe benefit package to include employer paid Vacation Plan, MM&P Health and Benefit Plan, Defined Pension Plan, Defined Contribution Plan, and MITAGS Training.
  • Retention of Permanent jobs with the company from Master to Third Mate.
  • Access to all our deep-sea jobs as a Member of MM&P avoiding the “Applicant” process in our Union.
  • Enhanced worker protections against short notice layoffs.
  • The ability to bargain over dispatch lengths and codify this in a contract.
  • Freedom to chart your career from the widest variety and many of the best jobs in the U.S. Merchant Marine.
  • Expert representation by Licensed Deck Officers for Licensed Deck Officers

There have been many of you who have reached out and shown interest in joining MM&P. If you don’t see your issues reflected here, please let us know where you stand.

We will be disseminating more information as things progress. If you want to join our mailing list, or have MM&P representation and/or see MM&P on a ballot as an option to join, please request and fill out an electronic pledge card by clicking here:

https://bridgedeck.org/request-a-pledge-card/

Or Scan here:

This is a small industry.

We all went to school together.

We all sailed or know someone who sailed together.

We are stronger together.

Sincerely,

The MM&P Membership and Leadership

Personally, I believe it’s a shot in the dark for them. If the OSG mates went MMP their voices would be drowned out by the others. MMP cares more about the higher paying contracts like Matson and APL and turns a blind eye to others.

I think the mates would have better representation and had their voice heard more with MEBA.