Survival suits

since I am now looking for work on the West Coast,Is it standard that you have you own survival suit? What one do you guys have, and what is the best one?

Inspected vessels are required to have those unless they are exempt. No need to buy your own.

There is a company that just replaced several hundred of them on the West Coast, they should be showing up on craigslist very soon…

Any specifics on what city these might be showing up in?

thanks

San Francisco, Seattle and Portland…

I am just speculating as to them showing up but it does seem to happen when companies change these out…

Survival suits are not required beyond certain latitudes, so if you are working for a company that is working within the required latitudes you’ll be provided with one unless you work on an OSV, [they have many special rules and exemptions.]
The regulations regarding survival suits are a sore point with many mariners. For example, the powers that be decided that immersion suits weren’t required in the Gulf of Mexico for OSVs even though the waters there in the winter give you about a 20-30 minute survival time without one. If they have them you need to get them on, if you don’t have them you die. http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/Marine/DCA98MM024/220046.pdf
As Gulf of Mexico OSVs get more into the deepwater market I think it’s negligent on the part of companies not to provide immersion suits.
In the Mississippi River mariners die every year from hypothermia, yet survival suits aren’t required there either. It makes one wonder if mariner survival or saving $300 per person was the deciding factor.

A good company will provide survival suits whether the law requires it or not, whether you have them handy and know how to get into one in a hurry is up to you.

Anchorman’s right. If it’s on the COI, it’s incumbent on the holder to remain in compliance. And to hell with the gumby suit. I’d rather die of hypothermia than claustrophobia or asphxiation.

In the GOM, I’m taking my Class 1 PFD with a light, whistle and EPIRB, along with a waterproof handheld VHF. If I find myself in the water I’ll want to be out of it as soon as possible. There are big toothy critters and jellyfish that make an extended stay in the water more adventure than I want to endure.

I’ve had my adventures. I’m into comfort now.

Nemo

Anchorman’s right. If it’s on the COI, it’s incumbent on the holder to remain in compliance. And to hell with the gumby suit. I’d rather die of hypothermia than claustrophobia or asphxiation.

In the GOM, I’m taking my Class 1 PFD with a light, whistle and EPIRB, along with a waterproof handheld VHF. If I find myself in the water I’ll want to be out of it as soon as possible. There are big toothy critters and jellyfish that make an extended stay in the water more adventure than I want to endure.

I’ve had my adventures. I’m into comfort now.

Nemo
[RIGHT]<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->[/RIGHT]

“And to hell with the gumby suit. I’d rather die of hypothermia than claustrophobia or asphxiation.”
:confused:??

If they are being replaced then it must be for a good reason…like they are out of date perhaps and therefore no longer compliant? In which case, hopefully the company will find a more responsible way to recycle them.

If I made it sound like the company was selling these out their back door then I apologize, that isn’t the case at all…From my understanding they are normally donated to training schools that can use them…I believe this is the case here…

The ones that are left over, if there are any, are sometimes given to employees after a release is usually signed and these are the ones that I refer to…

[quote=captbbrucato;28605]“And to hell with the gumby suit. I’d rather die of hypothermia than claustrophobia or asphxiation.”
:confused:??[/quote]

Speak for yourself. Gumby suits ROCK! And if you cant breathe, you’re probably doin it wrong. Although the pvc ones have a neoprene face cover part that can make breathing difficult. I worked on one boat out of kodiak that had suits custom made from thicker neoprene. They were harder to move around in, but the extra insulation would be well worth it if we ever needed them.

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;28661]Gumby suits ROCK![/QUOTE]

What rocks is not having to use one at all.

[QUOTE=anchorman;28667]What rocks is not having to use one at all.[/QUOTE]

What rocks is your company being too cheap to buy them for your vessel and knowing that if your boat ever sinks your fucked. What a lot of peopel don’t understand is you can get hypthermia anywhere, not just in the arctic!

[QUOTE=Deftsound;28677]What rocks is your company being too cheap to buy them for your vessel and knowing that if your boat ever sinks your fucked. What a lot of peopel don’t understand is you can get hypthermia anywhere, not just in the arctic![/QUOTE]

I’m sure every company does just that - sits around knowing your gonna die if the boat sinks because they did not buy something that’s not required.
Just be glad it isn’t something like steel toe boots…something they don’t provide, but require all the same.
Most everyone knows hypothermia can happen in any body of water…that is part of STCW basic training.
I guess while you’re on deck bitching about not having a survival suit and are going to die, the rest of the crew will be mustering the lifeboat and life rafts while wearing PFDs’. If the boat sinks any faster than that, there is a 50/50 chance your in your rack and you will die anyway.

[QUOTE=captbbrucato;28605]“And to hell with the gumby suit. I’d rather die of hypothermia than claustrophobia or asphxiation.”
:confused:??[/QUOTE]

You can die from claustrophobia?

[QUOTE=Diesel;28690]You can die from claustrophobia?[/QUOTE]

Diesel, haven’t you heard of claustromortophobia? It is the fear that you can die of claustrophobia.
I’ve actually got claustromortodenophobia, which is the fear that my denial that I can die of claustrophobia will actually lead to death.

[QUOTE=Capt. Fran;28693]Diesel, haven’t you heard of claustromortophobia? It is the fear that you can die of claustrophobia.
I’ve actually got claustromortodenophobia, which is the fear that my denial that I can die of claustrophobia will actually lead to death.[/QUOTE]

I get it … Its the whole “The only thing to fear is fear itself thing”

[quote=Capt. Fran;28693]Diesel, haven’t you heard of claustromortophobia? It is the fear that you can die of claustrophobia.
I’ve actually got [B]claustromortodenophobia[/B], which is the fear that my denial that I can die of claustrophobia will actually lead to death.[/quote]

Sounds like a good name for a star.

So THAT"S what I have…

Thanks Cap’n F…it makes it easier to deal with when you can name it, I just need to learn to pronounce it now.