SUNY MS Program vs. Workboat Academy

Hello,

I am looking for info/feedback on the SUNY Maritime Masters program. I am 28 and already have a bachelors degree in political science with an associates in business. Additionally, I went to law school for a year. After interning in a law office I came to the conclusion that law school/law in general is not for me. I do not want to work in an office or sit at a desk all day. I have worked on farms, done landscaping, and worked in a warehouse for 4 years. I am used to physical work and long work days. But I am sick of barely making enough money to get by.

The sea and shipping industry has always fascinated me. Consequently, I have been doing a lot of research on the maritime industry and have read many threads on this site (which is a great resource). I am now thinking seriously about trying to enter the maritime industry. After doing a lot of reading, I have narrowed my choices down to 2 options: 1) SUNY Maritimes’ International Transportation Management MS Degree with the 3rd Mates Unlimited license or 2) The MITAGS Workboat Academy Program.

Is the SUNY MS degree really worth going back to school for? Especially considering I already have a BA and I am more interested in working at sea than on shore? But I also have read that a 3rd mates unlimited license can open many more doors(deep sea, etc.) that the MITAGS program cannot offer. I really do not want to spend unnecessary time at school if I don’t have to. Given my situation, it seems that the Workboat Academy Program is the better choice of the 2. Or maybe before making a financial commitment I should work as a deckhand to see if this is something I really want to do for a career? I am interested in any feedback, advice, opinions, others more knowledgeable than myself may have. Thanks to all who respond.

I graduated from SUNY both undergraduate and graduate and I’m familiar with the program. I’m also currently sailing. PM me if you like.

SUNY is the way to go. It’s a respected professional degree. SUNY has 100% employment upon graduation. Grad/License students always get the best jobs.

If you hustle you can complete the program in 2 years. Most folks do it in 2 and a half.

[QUOTE=ljs252;48491]Hello,

I am looking for info/feedback on the SUNY Maritime Masters program. I am 28 and already have a bachelors degree in political science with an associates in business. Additionally, I went to law school for a year. After interning in a law office I came to the conclusion that law school/law in general is not for me. I do not want to work in an office or sit at a desk all day. I have worked on farms, done landscaping, and worked in a warehouse for 4 years. I am used to physical work and long work days. But I am sick of barely making enough money to get by.

The sea and shipping industry has always fascinated me. Consequently, I have been doing a lot of research on the maritime industry and have read many threads on this site (which is a great resource). I am now thinking seriously about trying to enter the maritime industry. After doing a lot of reading, I have narrowed my choices down to 2 options: 1) SUNY Maritimes’ International Transportation Management MS Degree with the 3rd Mates Unlimited license or 2) The MITAGS Workboat Academy Program.

Is the SUNY MS degree really worth going back to school for? Especially considering I already have a BA and I am more interested in working at sea than on shore? But I also have read that a 3rd mates unlimited license can open many more doors(deep sea, etc.) that the MITAGS program cannot offer. I really do not want to spend unnecessary time at school if I don’t have to. Given my situation, it seems that the Workboat Academy Program is the better choice of the 2. Or maybe before making a financial commitment I should work as a deckhand to see if this is something I really want to do for a career? I am interested in any feedback, advice, opinions, others more knowledgeable than myself may have. Thanks to all who respond.[/QUOTE]

SUNY does NOT have 100% job placement after graduation. Not even close. A classmate of mine from 07 just got his first job last year.

I will stipulate that grad/license grads do seem to get better jobs, but that may have something to do with maturity and previous experience. Most of them end up in offices, but a good number do sail.

Hopefully you are aware of the differences in the two. One gets you a 3rd Mate ticket, with which you can ship out (IF you can find a berth) on a ship.

The other gets you a 500/1600 ton license for nearby/nearcoastal, tug and work boat jobs.

Two TOTALLY different jobs, careers, and expectations.

What are YOU expecting?

From my experience, I have seen close to 100% hiring rate. BUT, you have to include being hired as OS, AB, Tankerman (pic), and purser to get close to 100%.

OS, purser, McDonald’s, dad’s construction business, hotel doorman (true story!).

SUNY includes jobs as OS oiler, wiper, McDonalds etc in their stats. They also include this folks that sit around or hike Europe for a year after graduation. So barring someone becoming permanantly disabled or dieing right after graduation it’s not hard to claim 100%.

However the stat you might be interested in os how many graduates actually ship out? This depends who you talk to, but in my two years at SUNY everyone that actually wanted to ship out, could. As was mentioned before you might have to start as a deckhand or oiler, especially in the tug business. I have heard numbers as high as 60%.

shipping out is a moot point unless you put the time in to get the ticket. The GL program is by far the fastest way to 3/m unlimited, and the 2 year AAS is the fastest way to mate 1600 tons oceans or NC. As also mentioned previously they are two different jobs requiring two different skill sets.