SUNY Maritime presidential search update

You know Cap, they actually have an opening right now. You want me to tell you where you can put your Resume.

[QUOTE=c.captain;127679]GOOD FUCKING LORD! Why can’t one of the state schools be run as a true “maritime” academy by a retired merchant ship master with 40 years at sea? Imparting industry and trade knowledge, wisdom and leadership skills to all? Certainly there is one man out there with the industry experience and even perhaps an master’s degree willing step up to the plate ready to hit a home run and change the face of maritime academy training in this country?[/QUOTE]

If you want to see how inept the current administration is, have a look at the “Vacancies” page on the Maritime website.

http://maritime.interviewexchange.com/static/clients/373SMM1/index.jsp

They have an opening for “Chief Engineer” for the TS Empire State. They have it listed under “Service, Construction, Maintenance & Skilled Trades”. That’s right; they think Chief Engineer on the ship is equivalent to a janitor or brick layer.

It would not dawn on them to list the job under the “Professional” heading. The idiots running a college that exists to train these engineers are too stupid to realize that the job is “professional”, requiring years and years of training and experience. That’s how much they know about the maritime industry.

When Craine left, they actually did have a candidate with good civilian experience. That was Hoffman. He was a graduate of the school and had worked there his whole life, rising to Provost. He was liked by faculty, knew what the school did, and understood the industry needs. From what we know, Craine did everything in his power to push the College Council (equivalent to board of directors) NOT to hire him. After all, he wasn’t a Navy admiral. So Maritime ended up with Carpenter. If they had hired Hoffman, at least they’d have a president that knew that “chief engineer” is not equivalent to “janitor”.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;127696]You know Cap, they actually have an opening right now. You want me to tell you where you can put your Resume.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right…like an outspoken loudmouth like me could survive any such political environment? Still the thought is nice to contemplate…if only I would be allowed to sanitize the place of the useless retired ex military worms and dispose of the regiment! Focus the place on one thing…ships and the sea. The past, present and future of the US merchant marine and maritime industry!

WHAT a MISERABLE FUCKED UP MESS OUR MARITIME TRAINING SYSTEM HAS BECOME!

Well SUNY must regard Hoffman well. I think he’s currently the Interim President at SUNY Canton, but still officially listed as Maritime Faculty. Hoffman probably would make a great President, He went to maritime right? About the chief eng being listed in that category I’m not sure I’d do it differently if I was in charge of HR. I imagine people like Director of Facilities go under that category too.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;127717]Well SUNY must regard Hoffman well. I think he’s currently the Interim President at SUNY Canton, but still officially listed as Maritime Faculty. Hoffman probably would make a great President, He went to maritime right? About the chief eng being listed in that category I’m not sure I’d do it differently if I was in charge of HR. I imagine people like Director of Facilities go under that category too.[/QUOTE]

He is still listed as faculty here and yes, he is the Interim at Canton. At this point, just another faculty member that the school can put on a statistic about how they have SO MANY teachers… Place is a damn joke.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;127717]Well SUNY must regard Hoffman well. I think he’s currently the Interim President at SUNY Canton, but still officially listed as Maritime Faculty. Hoffman probably would make a great President, He went to maritime right? About the chief eng being listed in that category I’m not sure I’d do it differently if I was in charge of HR. I imagine people like Director of Facilities go under that category too.[/QUOTE]

Hoffman is “acting” president at Canton. As “acting” president" he’s free to apply for the permanent presidency at that school. If he was “interim”, like Cappeto, he would not be eligible to apply for the permanent presidency. He’s still listed as faculty at Maritime because you don’t surrender tenure, to take another job that very well might be only temporary. If you don’t keep tenure, you can find yourself unemployed when the temporary president job ends. Hoffman would be free to return to his Maritime teaching job at any time if things went badly in Canton.

Maritime just hired a new Provost, from Cal Maritime. We’ve heard that he demanded tenure at Maritime as a condition of employment. That way, if he gets canned, he has a teaching job here. You don’t want to move across the country just to get fired and find yourself unemployed.

As far as considering a chief engineer as a “skilled trade”, the director of facilities would be listed under management and professional. That job listing just shows the general level of management incompetence at the school.

[QUOTE=“Rich Bogad;127724”]

Hoffman is “acting” president at Canton. As “acting” president" he’s free to apply for the permanent presidency at that school. If he was “interim”, like Cappeto, he would not be eligible to apply for the permanent presidency. He’s still listed as faculty at Maritime because you don’t surrender tenure, to take another job that very well might be only temporary. If you don’t keep tenure, you can find yourself unemployed when the temporary president job ends. Hoffman would be free to return to his Maritime teaching job at any time if things went badly in Canton.

Maritime just hired a new Provost, from Cal Maritime. We’ve heard that he demanded tenure at Maritime as a condition of employment. That way, if he gets canned, he has a teaching job here. You don’t want to move across the country just to get fired and find yourself unemployed.

As far as considering a chief engineer as a “skilled trade”, the director of facilities would be listed under management and professional. That job listing just shows the general level of management incompetence at the school.[/QUOTE]

Ahh yes, my mistake. I forgot about the tenure issue.

I was just thinking that there are no longer any Capt. Harry Manning’s in the world…

That’s the kind of man SUNY needs right now!

[QUOTE=c.captain;127746]I was just thinking that there are no longer any Capt. Harry Manning’s in the world…

That’s the kind of man SUNY needs right now![/QUOTE]

There is always CAPT Art Sulzer.

I like Hoffman when I was in graduate school. He is a great choice IMO. Please remember there is a naval reserve component and might be the fuel behind picking a career military person. Perhaps #2 should be a career merchant mariner or vice versa. In either case the person should be a practitioner and scholar. Just my two wooden cents.

[QUOTE=jsmithjr;127834]I like Hoffman when I was in graduate school. He is a great choice IMO. Please remember there is a naval reserve component and might be the fuel behind picking a career military person. Perhaps #2 should be a career merchant mariner or vice versa. In either case the person should be a practitioner and scholar. Just my two wooden cents.[/QUOTE]

The NROTC unit has nothing to do with any decisions about the school. They stay out out of everything.

Initial vetting is done by the presidential search committee, made up mostly of faculty and College Council (equivalent to board of directors) members. Then it gets narrowed down and those candidates visit the campus and talk to lots of people. The College Council is then supposed to pick one and recommend that person to Albany. Then the SUNY board is supposed to approve or disapprove based on a recommendation from the Chancellor. I think the College Council can recommend more than one candidate for hiring, ranking the candidates in order of preference.

Make the Regiment symbolic… Or eliminate it altogether! All the twisted frustration, hatred and anger always boils down to the make believe military aspect of this Engineering and Business Transportation College! Let the faculty teach the license track students how to maintain and operate a ship. And teach the others whatever they pay to be taught.

It’s like letting females get USCG licenses or join the military. It’s like letting gays get married. Like legalizing pot… It’s going to happen eventually…
:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=“Starboard Ten;127925”]Make the Regiment symbolic… Or eliminate it altogether! All the twisted frustration, hatred and anger always boils down to the make believe military aspect of this Engineering and Business Transportation College! Let the faculty teach the license track students how to maintain and operate a ship. And teach the others whatever they pay to be taught.

It’s like letting females get USCG licenses or join the military. It’s like letting gays get married. Like legalizing pot… It’s going to happen eventually…
:)[/QUOTE]

…Except that the regiment is international in the respective merchant navy academies

The hell you talking about? Tons of regiment for hawsepipers, right?

[QUOTE=“z-drive;127940”]

The hell you talking about? Tons of regiment for hawsepipers, right?[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you blabbering about?

I thought we were talking about academies, not the several years of hard labor and classes route?

Hmmm years of hard labour and 12 hour days… or four years of disciplined regiment…Cadets have it tough these days.

New here, just registered so I could comment on the conditions at SUNY Maritime.

There are many things wrong with this school. I am not privy to the machinations of the administration, but the problems at the cadet level have less to do with who is running the school and more to do with the mind-boggling level of antipathy and inflated self-worth among the student body.

A recurring idea on this site (and I dare say among many of the cadets) is that the school would be improved by getting rid of the regiment or severely scaling it back. I disagree. True some of the retired military officer types need to be reminded that this in not the Navy, but making kids cut their hair or dress themselves properly is hardly oppressive. Of course there is no regiment in the industry, but that is not why the regiment exists at the schools. These kids need a LOT of growing up if they are going to have the kind of responsibility even a third mate or third assistant engineer has. These kids (especially the Long Islanders) are the most immature, lazy, self-centered and self-important precious snowflakes I have ever seen. And the upperclassmen aren’t any better. Most of the unnecessary stress the regiment causes is actually the result of the prevailing “FTR” attitude leading cadets to constantly try to get away with crap.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem is that the school is not regimental enough. The presence of civilian students is a source of distraction and causes dissatisfaction among the cadets. The problem is not that the school is trying to be a military academy, it’s that it is trying to be a civilian business school that just happens to have some kids in uniforms who want to work on ships. The powers that be seem they would be just as happy if every one of their grads went to work in Stamford, CT and not one actually went to sea.

Ideally, it would be nice to see the school focus on actually training mariners, get rid of the civie students and wannabe B-school, and get back to fundamentals. Then the regimental BS can take its proper place as a means to an end rather than an end in and of itself.