SUNY Maritime Cadet's Tragic Death

A S.U.N.Y. Maritime student who jacked up his car to do an oil change was killed in a tragic accident when the lift gave way and his car crushed him.

The accident occurred at approximately 5 p.m. on Friday, September 18 on the campus of S.U.N.Y. Maritime College. Cadet Benjamin Bragg, 20, was brought to Jacobi Hospital.

Bragg, was given C.P.R. in route, died shortly after the accident.

There was an outpouring of support on the campus for the family of the victim. A special ceremony was held on Monday, September 21, with students placing a memorial wreath on campus in remembrance of their classmate.

“The Maritime College community is deeply saddened by this tragic loss,” the college said in a statement.

Benjamin Bragg was originally from Mandeville, Louisiana, and will be buried there.

Those wanting to send condolences to the family may visit this E.J. Feilding Funeral Home’s website.

It’s extremely unfortunate - since I started there, the school loses an average of 1 kid a year - and every one of them is tragic.

The saddest was the couple that was electrocuted in their car.

I can’t remember anyone dying while I was at SUNY but I certainly witnessed more than one close call.

I remember one death during the 4 years I was there, but that was due to natural causes.