Suicide Aboard USNS Amelia Earhart

This thought never crossed my mind. This is one of most morbid arguments I’ve read in a while. If anyone besides a pimp is crunching the numbers for their business model & must factor in the number of suicides to stay profitable something is wrong. I don’t know how long you’ve been on but if you are thinking about these things you should mention it to the chief mate, master, DPA or HR asap.

Really?

If you think for one moment that any organization puts safety or human benefit above profit just look up the “Pinto Memo”.

1 Like

True. If you haven’t held the policy long. If its a group policy terms are different and usually paid but it pays to read the policy before taking the plunge. Individual policies are different for obvious reasons.

Some more info.

Well I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have a ballpark figure of how much injuries and deaths cost them. Whether or not that figure is considered against the costs of various improvements… and whether or not the decision is made based on that cost analysis… At the end of the day there is a budget and I wouldn’t be surprised if these things were discussed.

They’re either not making that cost analysis and ignorant to the fact that happy sailors are safe sailors OR they do make that analysis and determine injuries/deaths an acceptable cost of doing business compared to the alternative.

Im surprised this hasn’t happened earlier.
The office is lazy and unaccountable for anything and very rude towards civmars.
The management on ships are very afraid of EEO complaints.
There are swaths of deranged mariners that are more concerned with ship politics than doing their job.
There are alot of mental headcases on these ships.
Covid has exacerbated all these issues.

I agree there are ALOT of department heads that probably struggle with simple arithmetic

I think you stated some very good reasons to justify that all CIVMARS have a sign on/sign on dates when reporting to a vessel. Periodic and timely crew rotations could make us a safer, more efficient and professional organization. The long periods that many stay on a ship (and many of us have) is not good overall. Concur COVID-19 is not helping.

Agreed ChiefEldorado. kick the homesteaders off the ships and give other mariners chances to be on good ships for once. I was the civmar who went from bad ship to bad ship

I just heard about it. Horrible.

What’s going on with this up-gangway order? I thought there was a grievance and a court challenge.

1 Like

Some ships have been granted liberty. Some haven’t. MSC has left it to the Captains to request permission to open the gangway. Basically seems like upper MSC is making Captains request to point the finger if a COVID outbreak occurs onboard imho.

New article

1 Like

Kinda sounds like the pattern governors of the state USCG has assigned to take care of business.

Its been almost three weeks since MM&P, M.E.B.A. and SIU issued their joint letter to COMSC on easing the Gangway up order and I have heard nothing in regards to a formal reply from the admiral. Anyone out there heard or know anything?

As far as I know, it’s up to the local area commanders now. The captain of each ship has to submit a request for any kind of movement on/off the ship and it will be addressed on a case by case basis depending on several factors like schedule, fleet needs, specific port details, etc.

As far as a statement? Whatever they do is vetted by a lawyer first, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lawyer followed them around telling them what they should and shouldn’t do all day. While I don’t doubt they lack the decency of providing a statement on this and other issues, I bet the main reason is because they’ve been advised it would legally be a bad move.

Wow.

At least you’re consistent

Thank you madam.

During the Vietnam war, I served on a destroyer, often on the gun line. We were usually 90 days at sea or more, night time shooting, daytime underweigh replenishments. We were in 2 watches at best, everybody up for replenishments, and often at GQ. It’s where I learned to sleep standing. I don’t remember any suicides.

2 Likes

The suicides came later