Study techniques and best course

Hey guys, I’m study for a 1600 gt Mate, near coastal license. I have taken the required classes and have the study materials. My question is what has been the best way to work through materials when prepping? I. E. What subjects or exam module should I start with? Coastal plotting and rules of the road are pretty much down pat (previous license), but I’m still using the test prep. Terrestrial nav. seemed a bit daunting at first but worked through pretty well so far. Has anybody tested recently that can offer some insight? Thanks in advance for the help.

I went through a prep course, but doing it again, i would start with the hardest first and go from there. That said, I wouldn’t neglect doing a rules or chart plot daily. The simple stuff (rules) can trip you up easily and you must make a 90 or better. Besides, it’s one of the easiest to study.

I would focus on t-nav, deck gen/safety, plot, nav gen.

The nice thing is the bowditch that is allowed in the exam room. Several topics are covered in that book in case you get tripped up. (nav gen, t nav). Also learn how to read through the CFRs.

When I sat for my last set of exams I was working 80 or so hours a week and study time was at a minimum. I concentrated on rules and deck gen. Namely because those are the easier ones to study for and the ones you are least able to bullshit your way through with reference materials. The other modules I concentrated on being able to use the reference materials as you are able to. I did this by just taking practice tests with the full set of reference materials and looking up everything I could.

What sort of reference materials? Are they supplied at the test? Or is it just a list of stuff your allowed to bring?

I think it’s on the nmc website but there is a list of reference materials made available to you during the test.

Study everything and study it a lot I went thru a prep class and am going to go thru it again before I test because I waited too long to sit thru the exam I suggest studying everything as much as you can don’t neglect anything

All of the above posts are good advice. Go through as much material as you can. You never know what they will ask you. The reference materials supplied in the exam room are crucial. If you know how/what to look up…you will find an amazing amount of answers in there. But be sure to practice using the references and be able to use them FAST! That 3.5 hours goes by quick. Study up on Weather, tides, tidal currents, and life saving equipment. You should be using all available study sources. USCGQ.COM / SEASOURCES.NET / LAPWARE / NMC.MIL ( exam qustions in PDF) / CAPT JOES CD / HAWSEPIPE.NET (NOT THAT GOOD THOUGH) / MURPHY BOOKS. Look around the interweb and use google. I have a 6" D ring binder fuckin filled with shit I accumulated through studying. Crank through question after question. AND…your first reaction as the answer is the correct one…DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND OR CHANGE THE ANSWER YOU INITIALLY SELECTED. Good luck.

If you have Internet access go with lapware, if not captain Joe’s is pretty good too. Ask lapware what your exam code will be and which modules are in it. Your exam may be the same as the 3rd mate, which I think is modules 054, and 140 through 146. most people seem to think that 145 t-Nav is the most difficult. Lapware has a special section for the 60 or so most difficult rules of the road questions, make sure you know those.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;110047]If you have Internet access go with lapware, if not captain Joe’s is pretty good too. Ask lapware what your exam code will be and which modules are in it. Your exam may be the same as the 3rd mate, which I think is modules 054, and 140 through 146. most people seem to think that 145 t-Nav is the most difficult. Lapware has a special section for the 60 or so most difficult rules of the road questions, make sure you know those.[/QUOTE]

Lapware, ive heard was a decent program. I heard about it from his son which sails as captain w unlimited tonnage. Because he is an awesome captain and the Murphy books are great as well, I can only believe that Lapware is a great product.

Hmm. I would like to study up on T-Nav as well before going to the academy.

Don’t worry about studyin Cg exam questions before going to an academy. Best thing would be to take a basic nav/seamanship type class in that case. A yachty navigation class wouldn’t be a bad start for basic chart work. It’s how I got started around 13 or so.

Lolz. Drink the Cool-aid!

Lapware I do highly recommend although not for those reasons.

Whatsamatter?? Being recommended by an awesome captain isn’t endorsement enough for you??

If you are getting ready to test I would suggest downloading the IOS App Upgrade U. It has every thing you need and let’s you know what you need to work on. Also has all the reference materials.

Seriously, Z. This is getting old.

I once worked on a ship where all the engineers told me they took aderol in their last year of school to pass cg exams

Hey guys I have the time to sit for my 3rd assistant lisence & dde unlimited tests. My question is this, I already have the study equipment for my 3rd… Mass maritime books vol. 1-3. And the hawsepipe thumbdrive for 3rd. Do y’all think I should get the specific material for the dde unlimited or should the study material I already have be sufficient? Thanks